Pre 86 block for a 1987 rebuild?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

61willys

Reaction score
First Name
Gabe
Truck Year
Truck Model
G20
Engine Size
I recently bought a g20 van (I know it's not a truck but I thought you guys could help) in the process of getting it home it blew a head gasket. The motor is in unknown shape but I have a nice fresh rebuilt 350 out of a 1970 Cadillac and thought I would just build this motor for the van. Can you swap a pre TBI block into a TBI equipped vehicle? I want to keep the throttle body so I'm guessing I keep the heads and intake. Will this block work? Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
I recently bought a g20 van (I know it's not a truck but I thought you guys could help) in the process of getting it home it blew a head gasket. The motor is in unknown shape but I have a nice fresh rebuilt 350 out of a 1970 Cadillac and thought I would just build this motor for the van. Can you swap a pre TBI block into a TBI equipped vehicle? I want to keep the throttle body so I'm guessing I keep the heads and intake. Will this block work? Thanks

Is this a Rocket 350 or an SBC 350? It's definitely doable either way. If it's an SBC, you'll need to remove the fuel pump and pushrod and install a block-off plate. You'll need the TBI distributor stabbed in the older motor, as well. As far as mounting the TBI unit goes, you can either do an intake swap, which involves grinding the four center holes on the intake to the correct angle to match the older heads, or you can find a TBI to carb intake adapter. If you do the latter, make sure you have a place to thread in your coolant temp sensor in the intake. If for some reason you can't make that work, you can probably find a water neck that has CTS threads like the Computer Command Control cars and trucks have. If this is an Olds 350, I don't know what the procedure is for the intakes, and I imagine you'd have to either get an adapter or a new trans case to make the Chevy patterned transmission work with a BOP patterned motor.

Last edited:

61willys

Reaction score
First Name
Gabe
Truck Year
Truck Model
G20
Engine Size
Both engines are chevy 350's. so what I'm gathering is if I reuse my TBI heads, intake, and distributor I can use the older 350 short block I have?

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
Yeah, if you want to rebuild it from the short block up, sure. Just make sure to remove the pump and pump rod and then block it off.

towman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
jay
Truck Year
Truck Model
v10
Engine Size
flex plate is differant the 87 has one piece rear main older doesn't

Forum statistics

Threads