Power windows issue.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cmull

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Colin
Truck Year
1978/1984
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
About a year ago I had the power window motor replaced. I just replaced the switch. It worked great for a day then the window stopped working. Could it be anything other than the motor? Possibly a ground? The passenger window still works fine off the driver side switch. I also still have power to the motor.

cmull

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Colin
Truck Year
1978/1984
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Also if the motor has been replaced before(the rivets have been drilled out) will I have to take the regulator out as well to get the motor out?

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
Could it be anything other than the motor?

Yes it could be a number of things but most likely it is a problem with the connection on the back of the switch you just replaced.

Take the switch back out and make sure that the pins are pushed firmly into the sockets in the harness plug. Check also that none of the wires to the switch have separated from the back of the plug. Sometimes they break off during switch changes.

cmull

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Colin
Truck Year
1978/1984
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Well I took the plug out of the motor and when I hit up or down I got power to the plug. And the old switch that would roll the window down but not up didnt do anything either so I guess it has to be the motor. I saw somewhere that the window needs to be rolled down to get the regulator out, is this correct? And if so.. how could I get the window to go down with a bad motor? I unbolted everything I saw and the regulator didnt want to move at all. Or is there a hidden bolt somewhere?

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
How about the ground wires on the ground buss bar just above the kick panel on the driver side just up behind the far driver side AC Vent. Make sure those connections are clean. I'd pull any wires off, clean with a wire brush and push them back on. Tighten and connections you can by squeezing just a hair with a pair of pliers. Also make sure the buss hasn't come loose from the sheet metal.

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
R & R procedure for window regulator (power):

You must be registered for see images attach

89_3&3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
john
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Try testing it first I made a 12 volt source from my lighter and try putting power to the power out of your switch and then to the motor to see if its the line sometimes when people mess with it lines can get pinched I know this cause I have been known to fudge my wiring sometimes so test it and see where your problem is before you dump 70 bucks on a motor you may not need
Ok well when I did mine I had to remove the vent window then the window to get the motor out. There are some good vid on YouTube and watch out for the springed arm it almost took my hand off

Last edited:

cmull

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Colin
Truck Year
1978/1984
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Well I think the regulator is frozen. I cant get anything to move at all with it all unbolted. I cleaned the ground and it did nothing. Guess Ill have to order one and wait for it to come in! Discontinued by GM and no parts stores have it. Thankfully Classic Parts does.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Garcjay