Power steering pump

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

VAL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
VAL
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 SILVERADO
Engine Size
So yesterday I put in a new power steering pump in my truck. It cured my right side pull. But today I have no assist at idle, I have to rev the engine to get it to assist, but works great cruising. Bad reman pump?

skysurfer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
1989 Suburban
Truck Model
V2500
Engine Size
5.7/TH400/NP241C
I would say yes, it's a bad pump, but before you pull it back out are you sure you bled all the air out of the system? My method is to lift the front wheels off the ground and turn the steering wheel almost lock to lock 50-75 reps. I've read that 25 times should be enough but with an aftermarket cooler installed it seems to take much more.

There seems to be a 50/50 split on whether this procedure should be done with the engine on or off. I do it as Howe Performance suggests with the engine off, the idea being that a running engine keeps the air suspended in the steering fluid and it won't burp.

Getting back to your issue, I had two or three reman pumps fail and no assist at idle was the first symptom.

VAL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
VAL
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 SILVERADO
Engine Size
I would say yes, it's a bad pump, but before you pull it back out are you sure you bled all the air out of the system? My method is to lift the front wheels off the ground and turn the steering wheel almost lock to lock 50-75 reps. I've read that 25 times should be enough but with an aftermarket cooler installed it seems to take much more.

There seems to be a 50/50 split on whether this procedure should be done with the engine on or off. I do it as Howe Performance suggests with the engine off, the idea being that a running engine keeps the air suspended in the steering fluid and it won't burp.

Getting back to your issue, I had two or three reman pumps fail and no assist at idle was the first symptom.

Yeah, I thoroughly bled the system, its working really well, at high idle and cruising speeds. its at idle, at a dead stop where there's no assist. I'm gonna take it back tomorrow and get another one, and see how it goes.

350runner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ceasar
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Compare the two pump pulley sizes. Measure them.

Sent from the dust in front of you!

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
Yeah, I thoroughly bled the system, its working really well, at high idle and cruising speeds. its at idle, at a dead stop where there's no assist. I'm gonna take it back tomorrow and get another one, and see how it goes.

You did get the HD one for the hydro boost, right? The non hydro boost one wont do the job.

VAL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
VAL
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 SILVERADO
Engine Size
Compare the two pump pulley sizes. Measure them.

I used the same pulley, pulled it off the old one, pressed it on the new one.

VAL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
VAL
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 SILVERADO
Engine Size
You did get the HD one for the hydro boost, right? The non hydro boost one wont do the job.

My truck doesn't have the hydro boost set-up.

350runner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ceasar
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
I used the same pulley, pulled it off the old one, pressed it on the new one.
Ah ok. Hmmm...

VAL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
VAL
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 SILVERADO
Engine Size
Exchanged the pump, all is good!

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
Oh Good!

rich weyand

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
You will also get better performance and reduced pump wear from using synthetic P/S fluid.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1998_K1500_Sub