Power Steering Pump Leak

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kickdeez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
kyle
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban 2500
Engine Size
454 tbi
1990 2500 Suburban
7.4L
Hydroboost System

Since I bought the truck a couple years ago, I have always had a minor leak coming from the steering box. I intend to replace it at some point, just have never gotten around to it. I am not too worried about that issue. I have also noticed that if I don't drive the truck for a period of time, I see fluid dripping off the bottom of the pump. But if I drive it regularly, it stays bone dry.

I did some investigating this week, because I saw a huge puddle of ps fluid under the truck. This was troublesome to me as I am planning to tow this weekend. So I tightened the fitting that threads into the back of the pump, and wiped the pump off so that it was clean/dry enough for me to tell if it was still leaking. Within 30 minutes I could see fluid dripping down the side of the pump from the cap.

So, I pulled the cap and ordered a new one from oreilly's. I noted that the fluid level was pretty much at the top of the filler neck when I pulled the cap off. I left the cap off over night. Apparently that was a mistake because fluid just continued to overflow out the top of the reservoir and down the side, and subsequently all over my driveway.

With that being said, I have the following questions:

1. Has anyone else experienced this issue with fluid leaking out from the pump cap?

2. Is there a good/upgraded cap I can get to create a better seal?

3. This is more of a hypothesis than a question...but my theory is that the hydroboost system (booster and lines) stays filled with fluid when I am driving regularly. But when I let it sit for a couple weeks, the fluid starts to seep back down to the pump, fills the reservoir up, and then it starts to seep out beneath the cap. Does this theory have any merit? Should this happen?

Georgeb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
George
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Burb Z71
Engine Size
Your theory has merit and I don't think this should happen. I think there should be a check valve on the pressure side of the pump. I am not sure what was done on the return line side if anything.

kdo58

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
k5
Engine Size
My theory is to start buying parts pump, steering box, they are probably old and warn out!

Georgeb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
George
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Burb Z71
Engine Size
seeing that the gearbox is below the pump and the hydro boost is above the pump chances are the leak down is occurring from there are all the hoses good.

kickdeez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
kyle
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban 2500
Engine Size
454 tbi
I intend to replace pump and box at some point anyway. But that doesn't help solve the reservoir overflow issue. The hoses are all good. That was the first thing I checked. The hydro boost unit is basically new. I replaced it and the brake master last year.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tnahaus