Power Steering High Pressure Hose Help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mark Sprenger

Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
5.7L
Hey guys, trying to get my '82 K20 back on the road but I am having a weird problem with replacing the pressure hose on my power steering. Got a new one from NAPA and it has a totally different fitting. Mine seems to be a simple flare fitting where as the new hose has a nipple on it with an o ring. Attaching a picture of what I have, feel like I doing something wrong. Or maybe someone swapped my steering box? Let me know if anyone has any thoughts.

You must be registered for see images attach

Mark Sprenger

Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
5.7L
This is what my return fitting looks like and what my high pressure fitting should look like

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
Top pic is a metric o-ring style bottom is a double flare. I just went threw this on my last 2 projects. The one I just double flared the end that went to the pump. The current project I had another pump with the correct metric fitting so I swapped out the fitting in the pump.

Mark Sprenger

Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
5.7L
So basically my best option is to cut the ends off of the hose and double flare them? Truck didn't have the original hose on it, figuring the fittings that the new hose came with wont work? Why would NAPA sell this if it doesn't fit

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
Ecause for an 82 it will have the metric O-ring fittings. My truck is an 87 my pump is 67. I just swapped out the fitting in the pump with the original one for the truck now I can use an OE style hose. The return is just hose on slip on fittings.

Mark Sprenger

Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
5.7L
So that would mean the pump and steering box were swapped out for an earlier model? Both my pump and box have the fittings for double flare.

Georgeb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
George
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Burb Z71
Engine Size
Before I modified the new hose I would research and find one from an earlier year that will fit. LMC shows different possibilities. I imagine it is flare/flare, metric/flare and metric/metric assuming in that order compared to years but not totally sure.

Mark Sprenger

Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
5.7L
Just cross referenced it to rock auto, the earlier ones have the double flare. Guess I'll just return what I have and get the earlier hose. Thanks for the help

highdesertrange

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
k30
Engine Size
that's what I would do just get the right hose. as a note CCP performance parts sells a neat kit that replaces the hoses with field serviceable hoses. if your hose starts leaking you can go to a hydraulic hose shop buy a piece of hose and replace it yourself. no more cheap junk hoses. their kit for hydra boost also comes with adaptors so you can mix and match any pump, box, and booster. flared or o-ring. the adaptors are available separately. highdesertranger

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dbarham78