Power Heated Mirrors with Sequential Turn Signals

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

81K10

Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Back Story: I am rebuilding an 87 4x4 for my wife to use as her daily driver. When I started the build I made a list of all the more modern things that I thought would be cool to add to this truck. I came up with a few things (most of which came from this forum) the temp/compass rear view, third brake light/cargo light, and the list goes on. I saw on a couple of other forum pages where guys were doing heated/turn signal upgrades to their vehicle, so I decided to do the same thing. I took photos and even a video when I finished, however the truck is still in a million pieces, it was raining today and I thought I would be lazy and just bench build somethings for the truck.

I went on ebay and bought motorcycle handle bar grip warmers, and the sequential turn signal arrows. I also bought a set of power chrome mirrors. Total cost was around $140.

Attachments

• m1.jpg
    m1.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 427
  • m2.jpg
    m2.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 456
  • m3.jpg
    m3.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 448

81K10

Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I used a plastic scraper to carefully remove the mirror glass from the tray.

Attachments

• m6.jpg
    m6.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 399
  • m5.jpg
    m5.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 419
Last edited:

firebane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Curtis
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Link for mirrors? This would be an awesome project to do as when it gets cold up here scraping mirrors suck.

81K10

Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Remove the center screw so that way you can tilt the tray out of the way enough to run the wiring. Be careful not to move the tray too far as it is still attached to the motor (it is plastic spot welded). I then began running the wiring up the mirror arm making sure to allow myself plenty of wire to work with.

Attachments

• m7.jpg
    m7.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 370

81K10

Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I then laid out the heat pads how I wanted then as to allow the wiring to be routed without causing any interference with the motor or glass face. I drilled a ¼” hole (as seen in the photo) to allow the passage of the signal wires and the outer most heating pad. Once the hole is drilled and your layout is how you want epoxy the heating pads in place and then allow them to dry. Once the epoxy dried I went ahead and ran the wires together for both pads and then connected the power and ground to the wiring I previously ran through the mirror neck. I used an old motorcycle battery to test to make sure the heating pads were working properly. I then moved on to the turn signal arrows, I ran the wiring through the ¼” hole that I drilled and then connected the power and ground to the second set of wires I can through the mirror neck. Again I bench tested them with the battery to ensure proper function. I then tried to center the arrows onto the plastic mirror tray and then epoxied it into place. I then retested to make sure it worked still. After the epoxy was completely set I then epoxied the mirror face back into place. You will notice a gap on the outer edge of the mirror where the signal arrows are holding it up slightly. I used black silicone caulk around the whole mirror face to fill that void and you don’t notice it when the mirror is adjusted properly for driving.

Attachments

• m9.jpg
    m9.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 419
  • m10explained.jpg
    m10explained.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 416

81K10

Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Like I said I have a video of the finished product but am unable to upload it. But here are a few still shots I tried to take while the signal was rotating.

Attachments

• sig1.jpg
    sig1.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 433
  • sig2.jpg
    sig2.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 392
Last edited:

81K10

Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Link for mirrors? This would be an awesome project to do as when it gets cold up here scraping mirrors suck.

The mirrors themselves I got off ebay from a salvage yard, I think they came off of a late 80's Ramcharger. The heating pads are just motorcycle grip warmers, which can be bought at any motorcycle/atv shop. I bought them off ebay as well. The heating pads are a little small so I used both on one mirror so you will need to kits to do driver and passenger mirrors(for a total of 4 pads).

81K10

Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
As the weeks go by I will be building my own door panels, and installing a power window switch from a 2012 Ram( I like the look and the integrated mirror controls) I will also be installing a timed heated mirror switch I am just not sure on the location or what switch look I want yet.

Don5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Truck Year
Truck Model
k15
Engine Size
I have to say that is pretty slick. I like this idea a lot. I have the heated mirrors on my Dodge truck and I have to say that every truck should have them. They are really nice in the winter. I would say my heating element is only about half the size of what you have installed.

Stewzer55

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Stew
Truck Year
Truck Model
R30
Engine Size
350 TBI
Very nice final product. A true RetroMod, even if it wasn't done by Retro.

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
Like I said I have a video of the finished product but am unable to upload it. But here are a few still shots I tried to take while the signal was rotating.

That is sweet!

What year Dodge rams use these heated power dumbo mirrors ? And do you have a link to the page for the stuff you got off ebay?

And that is a heck of a good idea and job! Thanks for sharing! :)

RetroC10Sport

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Truck Year
Truck Model
pontiac aztek
Engine Size
1994-97 Dodge likely, but they were not heated, he added the elements.

81K10

Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
That is sweet!

What year Dodge rams use these heated power dumbo mirrors ? And do you have a link to the page for the stuff you got off ebay?

And that is a heck of a good idea and job! Thanks for sharing! :)

Here is a link to the Signal arrows.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Amber-LED-S...GMC-/201402078723?hash=item2ee47fd603&vxp=mtr

Here is a link for the heating elements.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Universal-M...Kit-/191616577315?hash=item2c9d3cef23&vxp=mtr

The mirrors came from an 88-93 Ramcharger, so I would say that the Rams, the RamChargers, and probably the larger utility vans would a be a good source for the power mirrors.

The 94-97 Rams the mirrors are mounted in the corners of the windows so the mount and the mirror arm are different. That being said if my calculations are correct one could take the "dumbo" portion of the mirror off of the dodge arm and mount it to the arm and door mount of a square body. This would give you the power mirror while maintaining the original appearance. Its just a matter of taking it apart and running wires.

firebane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Curtis
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
ower mirrors.

The 94-97 Rams the mirrors are mounted in the corners of the windows so the mount and the mirror arm are different. That being said if my calculations are correct one could take the "dumbo" portion of the mirror off of the dodge arm and mount it to the arm and door mount of a square body. This would give you the power mirror while maintaining the original appearance. Its just a matter of taking it apart and running wires.

I was curious about this part and if that is the case this makes finding this stuff even easier. My concern though is that the arm for the chevy vs dodge might be shorter?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dale Downes