Potential project- What I am getting into...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ScottyB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
phantom
Engine Size
2 squirrels
Went to tow a VW today and got it all loaded up and then asked about the Burb sitting off to the side of the driveway. She tells me it is a 99 K1500 that they parked 2 years ago because they couldn't get it started. I did a double take because I didn't recognize one of the badges. Turns out it has a Banks Turbo to go with the 6.5 diesel.

I've heard glow plugs or injector pump as most likely candidates for the starting problem. It had new tires when it was parked. The interior is obviously dirty but cleanable. The seats are cracked but not torn yet. The body is clean and straight. I asked what she wanted for it and she sheepishly said $800. I have a feeling I could offer her $500 and she would be happy.

What kind of headache am I looking at with this?

Nice thing is she doesn't have it up for sale or advertised, I know where it is and can go back anytime.

mistaake

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Truck Year
Truck Model
Crown Vic
Engine Size
BUY IT. The 6.5 is by far not as powerful as a Powerstroke or Cummins but it's not a bad engine. It will get the best fuel economy of any full size SUV ever made.

donmateo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
350 TBI
If the body is good, I'd go for it. $500 or $800 is a pretty good deal for something in decent shape.

ScottyB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
phantom
Engine Size
2 squirrels
My problem is I don't know diesels. What would have caused this to stop starting? I've heard glow plugs (not bad) or Injector pump ($1000 fix). Possibly a stuck injector. Of course, now it will have a dead a battery. What else could I expect though? Any good ideas of what I am up against with it? I would rather not part it if I can get away with it.

firebane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Curtis
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Its not so much the diesel part you need to worry about.. its that turbo. You would want to go over that with a fine tooth comb and check for any play or wear because that alone is a huge cost to fix or replace if it needed to be done.

ScottyB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
phantom
Engine Size
2 squirrels
Yeah, but the turbo isn't going to cause it to not start. It is an important consideration though.

marks86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
12v Cummins
how many miles?

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
The 6.2s ran just fine with out turbos. The 6.5 can run just fine with out turbos too. But I think what Curtis is getting at is: if the turbo packed it in and it has no intercooler then odds are the engine is toast!

But I would think that $500 dollars for a clean Burb is a great deal even if it has no engine! You can put a 350 or BB or what ever you want in there.

Is it 4x4 ?

ScottyB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
phantom
Engine Size
2 squirrels
I just took a quick glance at it while picking up something else. I believe it is 4wd but I didn't verify it. I don't know the mileage as I didn't open it up. These people are not mechanically inclined and I think they parked it as soon as they tried the battery and failed. I would love to hear that it was parked in winter as that would make it more likely to be a glow plug issue.

I am really trying to avoid picking up something that I would just part out. I also don't have the room or time to try to do a transplant on it if the engine is toast. My burb has a good engine and I have a tranny to put in if I could get that time to finish that. I would love to transplant the tranny out of the 6.5 but I don't think that will bolt up.

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
I just took a quick glance at it while picking up something else. I believe it is 4wd but I didn't verify it. I don't know the mileage as I didn't open it up. These people are not mechanically inclined and I think they parked it as soon as they tried the battery and failed. I would love to hear that it was parked in winter as that would make it more likely to be a glow plug issue.

I am really trying to avoid picking up something that I would just part out. I also don't have the room or time to try to do a transplant on it if the engine is toast. My burb has a good engine and I have a tranny to put in if I could get that time to finish that. I would love to transplant the tranny out of the 6.5 but I don't think that will bolt up.

The 6.5 tranny will bolt right up! :) The 6.6 duramax uses a different bell housing pattern but before that everything is swappable

You might have some issues with the torque converter bolting to the flex plate but that's a simple fix.

ScottyB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
phantom
Engine Size
2 squirrels
I figured if I stole the tranny I would need to change the torque converter. Stealing the tranny and T-case and drive lines would give me something more reliable then my 4l60.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
prenrag