Polishing a turd

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Itali83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Truck Year
1982, 1987, 1987
Truck Model
K10, 'burban C10, Jimmy
Engine Size
350, 6.2, 350
I don’t really think my truck is a turd at all, but the idea made me laugh. I’ve owned this truck for 10’years now and have never actually washed it I’ve blown the dirt off with a pressure washer a few times and the salt off the very few times I absolutely needed to use the truck in the winter. But never hand washed it or waxed it. I enjoy just using and enjoying the truck without the hours of polishing and worrying about scratches. The truck was painted before I bought it who knows when. Very cheap single stage paint job in a color that is t anything I’d pick for sure. The truck was originally yellow and I’m very sad it’s still not yellow but too late for that. I was going to paint the truck soon after buying it and mechanically rebuilding it. But after pricing it out and knowing I needed it for work I didn’t want the stress of worrying about chips and dings so I decided not to paint it. I did “jamb” it out because I was planning on black but now am tired of that look.

I’ve been searching how to preserve patina and polish old single stage paint jobs. I followed the advice of Derek on Vice Grips Garage in toutube. Got myself a cheap variable speed polisher, some pads and polish and the ever important SOS pads. I went to town.

I’m very happy with the results and the spots of primer and yellow that’s now showing through from the years of neglect and California sun before it made the trip to Maine.

here’s a few pictures of the roof before doing anything and after just scrubbing it with the SOS pads. I honestly haven’t polished the roof yet because I needed shade and couldn’t find any yet. I Have gotten the whole nose polished and am very happy with that as well.

You must be registered for see images attach

Itali83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Truck Year
1982, 1987, 1987
Truck Model
K10, 'burban C10, Jimmy
Engine Size
350, 6.2, 350
Here’s some more of the front end. The SOS pads are doing a great job of removing the black overspray from the doors, fenders and can so hopefully with some more work, it’ll be all gold with no black again.

Itali83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Truck Year
1982, 1987, 1987
Truck Model
K10, 'burban C10, Jimmy
Engine Size
350, 6.2, 350
I did get some good before pictures of the bed sides. I got the passenger side cleaned and polished today but didn’t get any pictures yet.

FireTruck1984

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
1984 and 1984
Truck Model
High Sierra K1500 350. Sierra Classic C1500 305.
Engine Size
350, 305
Here’s some more of the front end. The SOS pads are doing a great job of removing the black overspray from the doors, fenders and can so hopefully with some more work, it’ll be all gold with no black again.

Nice Work ! Looks really good

Itali83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Truck Year
1982, 1987, 1987
Truck Model
K10, 'burban C10, Jimmy
Engine Size
350, 6.2, 350
I like the wheel and tire setup, i think trim rings would make them pop more.
Thank you. I love my rally wheels for sure. They’re off my 87 jimmy that’s why they are blue. I put a set of the factory aluminum wheels on that truck so I had these kicking around. I go back and forth on the trim rings. I couldn’t bring myself to put them on these wheels after I painted them because they scratch the hell out of the wheels. I do like the look of just the center caps. But then this year on my suburban, I put the trim rings on the rally wheels that have my winter tires on them and like that. I think it’s a depth thing. The 15x8’s on the 4x4 trucks don’t NEED the trim rings. But the 15x7’s on my 2wd suburban do.

Super-Dave

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
In Maine, I thought everyone let the wind and rain was their vehicles for them.

"Ethel, pull the car out... storm's a com'in!"

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
Old used car dealer trick, hand wash a beater with Ajax.Its more abrasive than rubbing compound for taking off dead paint and bringing back the shine.Never heard of using SOS pads.Ill have to try that some time.You should try an Ajax wash sometime it will amaze you.

Itali83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Truck Year
1982, 1987, 1987
Truck Model
K10, 'burban C10, Jimmy
Engine Size
350, 6.2, 350
Here’s some more progress. Got both bed sides done and the drivers door scuffed with the sos pad ready for polish. Also a picture of the turtle wax products I’m using.

Ben

Itali83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Truck Year
1982, 1987, 1987