Points vs HEI vs WHAT?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

firebane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Curtis
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Wealth of info as usual :) Thanks guys!

What's a compatible tach? I would love this one but it's too expensive:
http://www.gmsports.com/content/new-tachometer-1973-1988-chevy-and-gmc-trucks

So what about something like this on eBay? Would this be compatible? I'm assuming there is some way to adjust whether you have a 4,6, or 8 cylinders? And I sure hope I can turn off the backlight!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-52MM-RPM-...-US-/111347361481?hash=item19ecd1e6c9&vxp=mtr

I know it looks ugly and cheap but if it works, it works. I can always buy the nice expensive one later when i can afford it :)

If you look at those tach pics you'll see a switch on the back. It will allow the 4-6-8 mode as you speak of.

Chaz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chaz
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Suburban
Engine Size
350 tbi/th400/np241c
Ok so why would a points type ignition work during/after an EMP and an HEI system would not,,,the points ign has wires and what a condenser to fry too,,, if you carried a spare hei module to bolt back in the the dizzy would that work or would that be fried too,,,,and I have to say I had a 69 Cadillac with a 472 motor that had points,,,when I adjused the gap I always did it with the motor running using the small access door on the side of the dizzy with an allen wrench to set the gap and using a dwell meter,,,,that bitch ran as smooth as any HEI system ive seen,,,,

mistaake

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Truck Year
Truck Model
Crown Vic
Engine Size
Why does it matter? Gas station pumps even those that older mom-and-pop stations still use are electronically controlled... So even if your truck runs after an EMP you won't be able to fill up which is a problem at 5-15mpg.

foamypirate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jake (Mr. Wilson)
Truck Year
Truck Model
El Camino, baby!
Engine Size
5.3L/4L60E
I'll take a 6.2 diesel...no electronics to run the engine other than a glow plug controller which could be manually controlled.

mistaake

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Truck Year
Truck Model
Crown Vic
Engine Size
I'll take a 6.2 diesel...no electronics to run the engine other than a glow plug controller which could be manually controlled.

But you can't fill up on diesel when the gas station can't pump it out. :D Just sayin'

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
There are ways to get fuel out of the underground tanks at stations. Worse case scenario, a 5000 watt generator will certainly run the pumps to get fuel to the dispensers.

I had a buddy that built gas stations from scratch, and also replaced tanks and dispensers on retrofit upgrades especially when Cali went to stricter EPA rules. I helped on a few of those jobs and know a little bit about a little bit on how those systems work. Trust me, I'll be getting fuel if **** hits the fan.

Most don't realize, as we say "pull up to the pumps", we don't actually pull up to the pumps. We pull up the dispensers. Most stations will only have 1 pump on top of each tank the holds each grade of fuel. The pump is on top of the tank and pumps to all of the dispensers that do nothing but measure the amount of fuel and calculate the total cost by price per gallon. There is also a vapor recovery system that feeds into the tanks from the dispeners.. hint hint

firebane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Curtis
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
HEI is far superior and more reliable than points.

With that said it doesn't sound like your having fuel issues but something else.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
HEI is far superior and more reliable than points.

With that said it doesn't sound like your having fuel issues but something else.

Nawww, there's no fuel issue. The convo just took a different turn. I think he's got all the info he needed about the difference between points and HEI, then it went astray.

mistaake

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Truck Year
Truck Model
Crown Vic
Engine Size
So that tach arrived. Well, I don't see the switch to select cylinders? WTF!?

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73

Well then, let's hope it's a V8 Tach and set for 8 cylinders. You don't know til you hook it up. Maybe it's one that has the be taken apart to set up? Any instructions come with it?

firebane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Curtis
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size

Sometimes you need to take the back cover off to get to a switch as well.

mistaake

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Truck Year
Truck Model
Crown Vic
Engine Size
Yep, that was the case. I had to pry it out of the cup thing it was in. It was in there really tight.

1986ChrisK10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
hey, i don't mean to bring a thread back from the dead.

I did learn a lot from this thread, and I am leaning to a bad module.

But would/can the ignition control module go bad with truck running at idle? The reason why I ask is cause I had the 86 K10 down by the road unloading trash for the county to come pick up. Jumped back in the truck went to give it gas to park the truck and it died. Not getting any spark. Thanks fellas.

SlickGTP

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Entirely possible for it to die at any point/time... The modules are heat sensitive and if it overheats then it's just a matter of time before it just conks out.

If you replace it, then make sure you clean off the mounting pad real good and put some new heat transfer paste back on it before installing the new module.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
M37M35