Pinion bearing replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

grey83c20

Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
Been hunting a direct replacement axel for my 83 c20 with no luck. So in the meantime I've been sizing up the job of replacing the bad pinion bearing myself and doing all the bearings while I'm at it. Want some opinions. If I am keeping the carrier and gears the same... And in careful to put back any found spacers as they were... Should I be able to use the same crush sleeve and bolt everything back together ( to torque spec) without worrying about preload or caliper dials, etc. It's a 14 bolt SF open diff. I'd love to put in an Eaton and have someone who is experienced with axels do it but the $500 in labor and $600+ in parts talks me out of it.

Jrgunn5150

Questionable methods
Reaction score
First Name
J.R.
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
6.slow
Been hunting a direct replacement axel for my 83 c20 with no luck. So in the meantime I've been sizing up the job of replacing the bad pinion bearing myself and doing all the bearings while I'm at it. Want some opinions. If I am keeping the carrier and gears the same... And in careful to put back any found spacers as they were... Should I be able to use the same crush sleeve and bolt everything back together ( to torque spec) without worrying about preload or caliper dials, etc. It's a 14 bolt SF open diff. I'd love to put in an Eaton and have someone who is experienced with axels do it but the $500 in labor and $600+ in parts talks me out of it.

The correct answer is no. Nope, no way, no how, you gotta reset your preload and backlash.

The real answer is probably. I know I have swapped yokes without re-setting my gear's.

If this is something you rely on, I would do it properly. If it's a weekend truck, give it a shot, the worse that can happen is it'll be effed up, and it's effed up now. Really it will only howl anyway

grey83c20

Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
That confirms what's I was thinking. Thank you.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChevyJGP