Passenger side Steering box frame crack

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

barry

Reaction score
First Name
Wes
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Ok, so it is pretty common knowledge that the frames on the older Chevy's crack at the steering box due to the pressure. Anyone ever hear of this happening on the passenger side in the same area? Would the frame repair kit work on the passenger side? I have only seen the repair kits and support arms for the drivers side.

I am looking at buying an 87 and the frame is cracked on the passenger side. They repaired it by welding a plate to it, but concerned that it occurred on the passenger side.

Thanks

highdesertrange

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
k30
Engine Size
can you post a pic. is that a straight front axle? highdesertranger

barry

Reaction score
First Name
Wes
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
As you can see, someone already tried, emphasis, tried to fix it. I will have to correct their welds, which I can, but just never hear of this occurring on the passenger side.

Attachments

• Frame_2.jpg
    Frame_2.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 181
  • Frame_3.jpg
    Frame_3.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 260

highdesertrange

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
k30
Engine Size
wow I have never seen it crack there. wonder if it's been in an accident? any thing else damaged, like the cross member? no you can't use the steering box repair plate because of the dimples for the box bolts. if this is the only damage I believe you could fix it. 1st remove that metal that someone welded on, reweld the cracks as needed. 2nd grind everything just smooth. 3rd on the under side cut a v into a piece of heavy angle iron ben it so that it fits the curve of the frame. 4th weld the angle in place flush with the outside of the frame at this time weld the v you cut. 5th take a piece of heave plate cut it to match the frame and the angle you added. 6th weld it in place, it's better if you stitch weld this as opposed to one continuous weld. 7th weld the cracks on the inside of the frame. do not grind these welds. 8th wire wheel everything and paint. or you could just find a good frame and swap. good luck. highdesertranger

firebane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Curtis
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Geezus.. That is damage from being hit or something. There is nothing on the truck that would cause that damage there.

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
Must have been more prevalent than people remember. TSB issued in December of 1989:

Frame - Cracking Under Severe Useage

GMC NUMBER: 87-2-121

GROUP: 2 Frame-Bumper Sheet Metal

DATE: December, 1989

CORPORATE NUMBER: 962002

You must be registered for see images attach

SUBJECT: FRAME REPAIR PROCEDURE

MODELS: 1985-86 K1 AND 1987 V1 TRUCKS

Under severe vehicle usage operations, some 1985-86 K1 and 1987 V1 trucks may exhibit a frame crack at the unused holes between the front shock
and engine mount (See Figure 1). The crack may start in the top flange.
If this condition is encountered, the crack should be cleaned and welded and both frame rails repaired using the fohowing parts and procedures.

Parts Information

Part Number Description
15646904 Kit - Containing right & left frame
brace and attaching parts and graphics.

I have the welding procedure for the repair if you want it.

Here it is, there are no images so it's an easy post:

Welding Procedure

(See Step 4 in Left Hand and Step 6 in Right Hand Bracket Installation Procedures) When gas metal arc welding (GMAW), use Electrode E705-3. When shielded metal arc welding (SMAW), use Electrode E7018.

* Clean as necessary with a stiff wire brush and a clean rag.

* Determine the inner end(s) of the crack by cleaning and grinding the surface.

* Drill a 1/8" hole at the end(s) of crack as an aid to stop crack progress.

* Grind a V-groove along entire length of crack.

* Weld the V-groove completely, filling the entire length past the hole(s) by 1/4".

* Grind smooth to allow tight reinforcement fit.

Note: After the crack was arrested and welded, the repair was not complete. The procedure called for a doubler (reinforcing bracket ) to be bolted to the top flange of the frame rail.

If the crack was in the RH rail, you know those bolts and nuts that clamp the gas line (and that last battery cable clip before the cable crosses over to the engine block)? That is where the bracket was added:

Last edited:

firebane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Curtis
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Must have been more prevalent than people remember. TSB issued in December of 1989:

Frame - Cracking Under Severe Useage

GMC NUMBER: 87-2-121

GROUP: 2 Frame-Bumper Sheet Metal

DATE: December, 1989

CORPORATE NUMBER: 962002

SUBJECT: FRAME REPAIR PROCEDURE

MODELS: 1985-86 K1 AND 1987 V1 TRUCKS

Under severe vehicle usage operations, some 1985-86 K1 and 1987 V1 trucks may exhibit a frame crack at the unused holes between the front shock
and engine mount (See Figure 1). The crack may start in the top flange.
If this condition is encountered, the crack should be cleaned and welded and both frame rails repaired using the fohowing parts and procedures.

Parts Information

Part Number Description
15646904 Kit - Containing right & left frame
brace and attaching parts and graphics.

I have the welding procedure for the repair if you want it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sammygunns