Overload Shock Install

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
As a requested xmas gift and a long time a wanting, I recieved my much awaited overload shocks for a gift. They are from JCWhitney. For the rear of the Burb, her rear springs are a little tired and I keep a lot of weight in the back and tow a boat most of the year. Besides the natural tendency to sag in the rear end on these vehicles, I wanted something to help level her out a bit but try and keep the smooth, stock like ride intact.

So rather than going with a add a leaf setup, I chose to go with the overload shocks. I have owned these before and they are well worth the money and just the right ticket for a smidgeon of spring help for old, tiring vehicles. They make them for many models of cars and trucks and they even make them for the front of some vehicles.

They run around $80 a pair, and are the easier of installs for ride height and load capacity increasing help for the regualr cheap ass, backyard mechanic. I never had one of these fail on me. I would like to state that they will stiffen a pickup truck quite a bit compared to a Blazer or Suburban. So keep that in mind when considering taking this road if you own a pickup.

I had to make late xmas night attempt at this. Due to the fact we have a major winter storm bearing down on our asses up here in the mid-atlantic/northeast, with 6-12 inches of possible accumulation, my plans to do this intall on Sunday at home in the back yard were thrown out the window.

So I opted out to pull the fringe benefit card, and run over to work and do the install inside the warehouse. To start off, I did a few stock ride height and measurements and pics. Measurements were taken at the rear bumper moulding and the top of the rear wheelwell arch. Also a side shot of the rear of the truck.

You must be registered for see images

Last edited:

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
The bottom fastners on the axles where the nightmare. On the pass side, I had to hang like a monkey under the frame and stand on the wrench to break the nut loose. That didn't work on the drivers side. I had to break out the 12 LB sledge to join the negotioations with that fugger.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
They may not look it, but the shocks I was takin off, Monroe's, they were still full of life and gas charged and ready to rock. I will be saving them. Very good shocks.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
So just a quick tool list for this fellas. The top frame mount nut is an 11/16".

The bottom axle nut was 7/8".

And the bottom axle bolt head was 13/16".

In the second pic is part of the persuader/alignment crew.

Please disregard the 3/4" wrench at the top of the first photo, I put the wrong one in for the shot, like a dumb ass. It should be 13/16".

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size
350/350/454
Making good use of your Christmas present :waytogo: nice thread as usual!

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Nice !!! Any reason why your Burb has a saggy ass??? Just tired springs???
The springs are actually in pretty good shape for how old the truck is. I just keep **** in the back of it for boating, plus towing the boat 300 days out of the year, she get's saggy, ya know? These things have been doing great so far. Stays a litttle more square on turns and off ramps and **** too. I also noticed putting these things on and I had the rear wheels off the ground that I must have a limited sip on that axle.

Last edited:

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually