"overkillin time"

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

85 oil burner

Reaction score
First Name
richard
Truck Year
Truck Model
suburban
Engine Size
Hi yall,got another ?, I got me a 3/4 ton 2wd gmc burb with a 6.2 diesel,and a 700 r4 and am lookin to do somethin a little different,I hear through the grapevine that gmc and chevy built the medium duty trucks with a 8.2 diesels with a 7 speed autos, I hear its a 2 speed rear with 5 gears and was wondering if there was any way to pair it with my smaller 6.2 I figure there would be some major modifications due to size restrictions but I am a hillbilly and that dont scare me at all but rather makes me all the more wanna do it but I love my burb and wouldn't mind that at all,I know it is a medium to heavy trans. and that is just what the doc. ordered for me,I am lookin to put a "FF" axle on the rear,buy some 5,000 lb. per side leaf springs and heavier shocks and run a detroit 3.73 or a 3.42 locker in it to save fuel and put a banks turbo and marine injectors on the engine for more power and fuel economy and I figured why not go all the way and put the 7 speed in there and make it the ultimate 2wd that could possibly get 25 mpg or more and go well over 800 miles thanx to the 41 gal. fuel tank,is this build possible and has anyone done it yet? If ya have or ya got bad news for this dreamer:superhack::happy160::grd: either way I wanna hear it thanx in advance have a good un yall.

da_raabi

Trailer Park Supervisor
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Truck Year
Truck Model
c30
Engine Size
From what I have read, the 8.2s are heavy and kinda crappy. I have read a lot of bad stuff about the 8.2 "Fuel Pincher" ie: heavy, low power, high maintenance, etc. It uses an SAE bellhousing, so if you decide not to use a medium-duty tranny you will need adapter plates. I have also read that those big trannies may need a dog house in the cab to fit. Soooo... I'd recommend against it. I was thinking of going down the same path but decided against it for the above reasons. If you go for it, post it up though, sure would be interesting!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmeade