Overheating

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Charlie

Mopar by Birth. Chevy by Choice.
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Truck Year
Truck Model
Cheyenne 10 LWB
Engine Size
350/TH350/AC/4 BBL Quadrajet
The belt may have been bad/old and just broke. IMO.....I would go with 180 thermostat, go with stock style fan with clutch and not use flex fan. Other than electric fan setup, there are videos on youtube that prove fan clutch is better cooling than flex, or at least more hp. Also, I have read of flex fans breaking and pieces being thrown from them. If you are working on a running engine, can cause cause injury.

thatbluek10

Reaction score
First Name
austin
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
The other thermostat I put in there was one I had sitting in another engine so I haven't tried a new thermostat,the gauge was pretty much all the way up when the belt broke but it didn't physically over heat there wasn't any steam and I couldn't hear the coolant boiling but it was definitely hot,I'll try throwing a normal fan on it and I'll try a 180 thermostat

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

436'd skylark

Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Truck Year
Truck Model
2500HD
Engine Size
Durajunk
It's not going to steam if the water pump isn't turning. What you had happen is about worst case scenario. I'd be surprised if you get out of it with it replacing head gaskets or a cracked head.

73c20jim

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
1973, 1973
Truck Model
C20 2WD Custom Deluxe. C10 2WD Base Model
Engine Size
350 CID 195/260 HP Goodwrench crate, 400 CID 2bbl
It's not going to steam if the water pump isn't turning. What you had happen is about worst case scenario. I'd be surprised if you get out of it with it replacing head gaskets or a cracked head.

Ouch!

75gmck25

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25 Camper Special TH350 NP203
Engine Size
If you are going to change thermostats, use a 195 degree, just like GM recommended when your engine was built. Using a 195 will not make an engine overheat - a bad water pump, fan or radiator will make it overheat. 195 degrees is also a much more efficient temp for combustion and overall fuel mileage. Its better for your engine.

Bruce

Southcoast85

Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC c10
Engine Size
You might also check your radiator hoses especially the lower one. They may collapse when hot and shut off water flow.

Cuba

Likes to work alone in her woman cave
Reaction score
First Name
Cuba
Truck Year
Truck Model
S10 Blazer
Engine Size
4.3ltr TBI
Or a bad radiator cap. If it doesn't hold pressure to 15 or 16 lbs, it's more prone to overheating as well. The higher the pressure, the higher the boiling point. So instead of overheating at 212F... it now jumps to 240F or 260F before boiling and overheating

Goldie Driver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Britt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC K1500 Suburban
Engine Size
If you are going to change thermostats, use a 195 degree, just like GM recommended when your engine was built. Using a 195 will not make an engine overheat - a bad water pump, fan or radiator will make it overheat. 195 degrees is also a much more efficient temp for combustion and overall fuel mileage. Its better for your engine.

Bruce

I like this theory, but ...
What about all the '77 and prior that ran a
180 stat ?
My understanding was that 195 is an emissions stat.
I will happily go buy and install one if this is for real.
I am sure the old 195 (marked) was crap as it would run cooler in traffic than down the road.
The new Murray ( I think - O'Reilly 's) acts normal.

My gas mileage is crap - can't say it is really worse since it is a QJet powered square with 170HP new , 33's, and factory 3.42's.

But, I would be willing to try - 2 bolts , a gasket, and some antifreeze. :anitoof:

Britt

WHEELMAN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
BILL
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
454 v8
I never ever seen where there was anything wrong with 160 cooler.oil last longer.i knew a guy that had a built 350 and he could hit the pedal and the power would show the built off.i got him to change to a gates belt.it stayed on.if the engine did not cut right off.you could of cracked a head.blew a head gasket.what comes out the exhaust.when the engine is cold.

One side could blow out.oil smoke.like blue.look for water in the oil.or oil in the water.

75gmck25

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25 Camper Special TH350 NP203
Engine Size
I looked up the thermostat listing for a '73 C10 - the OE (original equipment) listing for an SBC 350 was a 195 degree thermostat. AFAIK Chevy never spec'd a lower than a 195 degree thermostat for the SBC in a squarebody. It has no relationship to adding emissions equipment.

Running an engine at 160 will promote the build-up of sludge, and combustion efficiency will be lower than running at 195. Run whatever you like, but its not helping your engine or improving performance.

And if your engine is going to overheat with a 195 degree thermostat, it will also overheat with a 160 degree, since the thermostat only sets the minimum temp for opening. Once they are both open, the water flow and cooling is identical.

Bruce

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bowers31