Original paint type 74

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bill

Reaction score
Seemingly easy question I have been able to answer.

I have a 74 C10 and the paint is original (on the surviving original body panels).

What kind of paint did they use in 74? I was thinking of doing a ****** garage repaint just to get it all one color, but some types of paint are more tolerant of this than others.

Thanks!
Bill

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
It's either laquor or enamel, I'm thinking enamel but hopefully someone who knows for sure will chime in.

hirschdalechevy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
rich
Truck Year
Truck Model
k-30
Engine Size
I dont know what paint they used in 74 but I have painted all of my truck's and all I did was use dupont primer sealer and dupont croma color with a ppe clear and it was very easy to shoot and turned out nice and is holding up great , ( I am not a painter either ) , I just like doing it.

:grd::grd::grd:

Green79Scottsdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Pretty sure it was enamel in '74. You can spray enamel over enamel without problems. Just don't cross enamel with laquor, they don't play nice together.

If you want a quickie job, take everything down to primer, at the least. Bare metal would be best. From there, like hirschdale said, use a good primer sealer, but you can get away with a single stage paint for budget concerns. If your budget allows, the bc/cc route is a much more durable way to go.

Good luck, let us know how it turns out, preferrably with before and after pics!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Obullard74