Older flat tappet cam engines, what oil do you use?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bwh998

Reaction score
First Name
brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
suburban
Engine Size
well, ya, but there was a spate of softer cams and lifters in 70's motors, which would be of concern to square owners, and the increased wear from unbelievable valve spring pressures and lobe profiles, which to not affect square owners. In the OP, is the goodwrench motor one of the drop ins you can get today from like summit or jegs or napa etc? built with modern components? I dropped a quarter mil on my last flat tappet motor (albeit a 1990) and once cancer took the frame, sold the motor still running cherry...

Yep, its a pretty mild 4 bolt main engine with the 993 heads. It's for sale on the front page of either summit or jegs right now for 1450 dollars. It used to be called the target master 350. Mine not new, it looks like it was dropped in sometime in the early 1990's.

quaddriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevy R2500
Engine Size
The big one
Yep, its a pretty mild 4 bolt main engine with the 993 heads. It's for sale on the front page of either summit or jegs right now for 1450 dollars. It used to be called the target master 350. Mine not new, it looks like it was dropped in sometime in the early 1990's.

thats a modern machine...you should be just fine with quality oil from today, in the correct grade - none of this 0w-20 crap they push...

bwh998

Reaction score
First Name
brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
suburban
Engine Size
thats a modern machine...you should be just fine with quality oil from today, in the correct grade - none of this 0w-20 crap they push...

Good to know, thanks

foamypirate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jake (Mr. Wilson)
Truck Year
Truck Model
El Camino, baby!
Engine Size
5.3L/4L60E
I run whatever oil is cheap that day, but major brand (Valvoline, Castrol, Mobil-1). Plain old 10w-30 or 5w-30. My 87' 305 doesn't burn or leak a drop of it.

bwh998

Reaction score
First Name
brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
suburban
Engine Size
It's good to hear that these flat tappet engines are holding up, from some of the horror stories you read on the internet they make it sound like they are failing left and right. Kind of had me worried.

da_raabi

Trailer Park Supervisor
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Truck Year
Truck Model
c30
Engine Size
I use a jumbo size 2 Qt filter and Amsoil Z-Rod oil. Seems to work well in my 454. Too bad the oil pan leaks more oil than I care to admit but... at least the engine itself seems happy.

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
It's good to hear that these flat tappet engines are holding up, from some of the horror stories you read on the internet they make it sound like they are failing left and right. Kind of had me worried.

Nah I only run ZDDP to break it in for the first 15-20K after that I just use straight quality conventional oil. I have never had an issue either.

bwh998

Reaction score
First Name
brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
suburban
Engine Size
thanks for the help.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members