Older flat tappet cam engines, what oil do you use?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bwh998

Reaction score
First Name
brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
suburban
Engine Size
I just filled my Goodwrench 350 up with v1r, I had read it was good for flat tappets, but since then I've read some things saying it wasn't really that great and didnt have the zddp levels i need. Now I'm confused.

bwh998

Reaction score
First Name
brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
suburban
Engine Size
Forgot to add, its all stock internally and already broken in. It's been sitting for a while. I just don't want to wipe out the cam lobes.

Don5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Truck Year
Truck Model
k15
Engine Size
I had this same question with my old engine as well. I just got it started after sitting for over 20 years last year. I was not aware that the formula for oil had changed. I ran the regular oil for one change. After learning about the ZDDP, I immediately drained the oil and changed it. I added a can of ZDDP additive to it as well. I plan on adding it at every oil change. It cost $10 for the ZDDP additive. I got it at Advance.

I used Valvoline oil and added the ZDDP can to it.

quaddriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevy R2500
Engine Size
The big one
are we still wiping cam lobes nowadays? I have to admit, I have not seen that in properly lubed engines, and have not seen it period in about 20 years or so...proper grade, proper levels, drive in health.

firebane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Curtis
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
are we still wiping cam lobes nowadays? I have to admit, I have not seen that in properly lubed engines, and have not seen it period in about 20 years or so...proper grade, proper levels, drive in health.

Yes it still happens but only in older engines. The problem is oil just does not contain enough zinc to prevent internal damage to older engines.

Georgeb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
George
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Burb Z71
Engine Size
Added zinc seems to be a really good idea either way. Would lacking it increase valve guide wear as well?

quaddriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevy R2500
Engine Size
The big one
well, ya, but there was a spate of softer cams and lifters in 70's motors, which would be of concern to square owners, and the increased wear from unbelievable valve spring pressures and lobe profiles, which to not affect square owners. In the OP, is the goodwrench motor one of the drop ins you can get today from like summit or jegs or napa etc? built with modern components? I dropped a quarter mil on my last flat tappet motor (albeit a 1990) and once cancer took the frame, sold the motor still running cherry...

Georgeb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
George
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Burb Z71
Engine Size
I will admit the lack of lead is the main cause of valve issues but zinc from the oiling system side could contribute.

SkinnyG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
G
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Silverado
Engine Size
350/TH350
I use Lucas "Hot Rod & Classic" oil.

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
I had this same question with my old engine as well. I just got it started after sitting for over 20 years last year. I was not aware that the formula for oil had changed. I ran the regular oil for one change. After learning about the ZDDP, I immediately drained the oil and changed it. I added a can of ZDDP additive to it as well. I plan on adding it at every oil change. It cost $10 for the ZDDP additive. I got it at Advance.

There is research now that shows ZDDP is good for initial break in but if continuously used that the ZDDP can actually cause premature wear because it etches the metal.

Don5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Truck Year
Truck Model
k15
Engine Size
There is research now that shows ZDDP is good for initial break in but if continuously used that the ZDDP can actually cause premature wear because it etches the metal.

Oh great. In any event it is in there now. I thought the whole purpose of the ZDDP was to reduce the friction in the oil?

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
Oh great. In any event it is in there now. I thought the whole purpose of the ZDDP was to reduce the friction in the oil?

Ya but if left in the oil for substantial periods of time it almost acts like an acid by etching the metal and making the metal surface not so perfectly smooth anymore thus causing wear

74propu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
austin
Truck Year
1974 1980 1986
Truck Model
c10s/b c10 s/b c10l/b
Engine Size
5.3 / ?/454 tbi
I ran A old school big block in my square I used rotella diesel oil in it diesel oil has zink in it and had no problums of wear

Attachments

• turbo truck 354.jpg
    turbo truck 354.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 100

Skweegle89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Rotella Triple T 15-40 is what I'm running in my new fm crate, always with a bottle of Comp cams break in additive. Just change the oil often. A quality filter is just as important as the oil you choose. Don't skimp on the filter.

Sent from an old rotary telephone.

bwh998

Reaction score
First Name
brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
suburban
Engine Size

Thank you, i was wondering where I could get the additive