Old Tractors

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

59840Surfer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
350 Stroker to 383 with a 400 crank, Crane Cam, Q-Jet, single 3.5" exhaust..
Since I've got a SMV for it --- it is legal on any road/street in Montana. I drive it to town some times just for fun - 6 miles or so.

It never really gets a second glance by people in town - they see things like that all the time I guess - or they're just jaded.

I will however, wait until the temps get above 22°F though.

Craig 85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
454/TH-400/NP205
I love the look of those classic tractors.

SDJunkMan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Here is mine. Ford is waiting for me to get the carb back on. Allis is waiting for summer.
You must be registered for see images attach
Must be a heavy carb to need a cherry picker:p

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Picked up this Craftsman LT4000. I think it’s a 1990. Maybe @89Suburban would know. Isn’t he the resident lawnmower connoisseur?

Hey that's a nice looking lawn tractor. Looks a lot like mine but nicer. I thought I had some pictures of mine, but I can't seem to find them. I bought mine in the late 90's and was told that it was 8 years old then, so to think yours is from the early 90's sounds about right to me. They are a very durable tractor or at least mine has been. Started out using it to mow my lawn, then got a 5X3' trailer to tow with it, hauled all kinds of stuff in the trailer, and it gets used minimum once a week in the winter to haul fire wood to the house.

Then I made a set of chains for the rear wheels so I could get around with a fully loaded trailer on the back part of the property better, most of our firewood comes from back there, and there's a hill to get up so the chains made difference between only being able to haul 1/2 a trailer wood up to the wood shed and being able to fully load it.

Eventually I bought another lawn tractor to mow with and took the deck off the craftsman so it could be dedicated to utility use.

About 10 years ago when we started with the bird farm I needed an effective way to scrape the mud and goo out of the outdoor bird runs especially in the winter time here where it rains so much. So I bought a front blade, it's actually for the slightly larger garden type tractors but I made it work, and also had to made some 75LB wheel weights to counter the weight of the blade and for even more traction.

Guess what, I just scraped the pens this afternoon with that tractor. That's right it's still going, sure I've rebuilt the carb a few times along the way and various other repairs but it's still going. I had guys tell me I'd break the frame with that blade, but no not yet at least. If I don't find my pics tonight I'll try to remember to take some in the morning.

I've also got a smaller farm type tractor with a front end loader on it, and a 3 point backhoe on the rear, which I've done a lot of work with as well, but it's a lot bigger than the lawn tractor, and the lawn tractor still gets used a lot because I can fit it into places I can't get the big one.

Frankenchevy

Proverbs 16:18
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
Hey that's a nice looking lawn tractor. Looks a lot like mine but nicer. I thought I had some pictures of mine, but I can't seem to find them. I bought mine in the late 90's and was told that it was 8 years old then, so to think yours is from the early 90's sounds about right to me. They are a very durable tractor or at least mine has been. Started out using it to mow my lawn, then got a 5X3' trailer to tow with it, hauled all kinds of stuff in the trailer, and it gets used minimum once a week in the winter to haul fire wood to the house.

Then I made a set of chains for the rear wheels so I could get around with a fully loaded trailer on the back part of the property better, most of our firewood comes from back there, and there's a hill to get up so the chains made difference between only being able to haul 1/2 a trailer wood up to the wood shed and being able to fully load it.

Eventually I bought another lawn tractor to mow with and took the deck off the craftsman so it could be dedicated to utility use.

About 10 years ago when we started with the bird farm I needed an effective way to scrape the mud and goo out of the outdoor bird runs especially in the winter time here where it rains so much. So I bought a front blade, it's actually for the slightly larger garden type tractors but I made it work, and also had to made some 75LB wheel weights to counter the weight of the blade and for even more traction.

Guess what, I just scraped the pens this afternoon with that tractor. That's right it's still going, sure I've rebuilt the carb a few times along the way and various other repairs but it's still going. I had guys tell me I'd break the frame with that blade, but no not yet at least. If I don't find my pics tonight I'll try to remember to take some in the morning.

I've also got a smaller farm type tractor with a front end loader on it, and a 3 point backhoe on the rear, which I've done a lot of work with as well, but it's a lot bigger than the lawn tractor, and the lawn tractor still gets used a lot because I can fit it into places I can't get the big one.
Wow, sounds like you get quite a bit of use out of it. It’ll only see mowing action on a few acres of lawn we keep. I have a couple tractors, but this is the dedicated property one we got last year.

We have quite a few attachments for it now. It’s the perfect size for what we use it for.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Wow, sounds like you get quite a bit of use out of it. It’ll only see mowing action on a few acres of lawn we keep. I have a couple tractors, but this is the dedicated property one we got last year.

We have quite a few attachments for it now. It’s the perfect size for what we use it for.
My property tractor is quite a bit smaller than yours, but for me it's the right size. I thought about something larger, and sometimes that would be nice, but because so much of the property is wooded, I needed something smaller I could get in and around trees and such with in tight places. Still I keep using that lawn tractor for such heavy use because it'll fit in even tighter places.

As a side note we don't typically get a lot of snow here but two weekends ago we got 6" followed by 10" and I learned to plow / clear snow with a bucket. Sure was nice to be able to get out to the chicken coops, without walking through a foot and a half of snow. Actually the snow removal was kind of fun!

Last edited:

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Its a Jubilee, Not sure if it is considered an 8 N or not. It's not the flat head engine??
Oh ok, they are a similar tractor for sure. I know the Jubilee series came after the N series tractor ended production. I believe the N series ran from the mid 30s into the early 50's, and Jubilee series ran just a few years after that. My Dad had a 9N when I was growing up and has an 8N that he still uses today.

I'm pretty sure the Jubilee came with the 137CU OHV engine where the N series was a 119CU flat I think if I remembered that all correctly.

SDJunkMan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
N is definatly a flathead. If I remember right, the 9N came out in 1939, then the 2N in 1942. Both were basically the same. In 1948 they changed to the 8N which updated the trans to a 4 speed, changed the PTO, wheels, ignition, and some other minor items. I think tbe Jubilee came out around 1952 or 1953.

I have a couple of 2N's, one with a 2 speed hi/low auxillart trans. It's got a stuck motor, just bought it for parts to fix up the other one.

mcarlo86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban
Engine Size
Its a Jubilee, Not sure if it is considered an 8 N or not. It's not the flat head engine??

Jubilee should be a '53 model. It is the successor to the 8N. I have a '54 model. They were called NAA's. Good little tractors!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kevbak88