oil pressure switch

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

caden_cochran

Reaction score
First Name
Caden
Truck Year
Truck Model
v10 pickup
Engine Size
Hey what exactly does the oil pressure switch do on the 87 tbi 350’s. Im hearing that it goes to the computer some people says it controls the choke. What y’all think?

Redfish

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500
Engine Size
350/5.7
There are two oil pressure measuring devices on the '87 TBI 350. The one under the engine, right above the oil filter is the sending unit for the pressure gauge. The second, smaller unit is located under and behind the distributor against the firewall. That one is a switch and is part of the fuel pump circuit.

Neither has anything to do with the choke.

gmbellew

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
glen
Truck Year
Truck Model
suburban 1500
Engine Size
oil pressure switch behind the distributor provides backup power if fuel pump relay fails as long as oil pressure is above a certain amount (3psi I think). that way the engine keeps running if the relay fails. and you can still start, but you will have extended crank time to build pressure.

some think it cuts power below a certain oil pressure as a safety mechanism, but that isn't true.

caden_cochran

Reaction score
First Name
Caden
Truck Year
Truck Model
v10 pickup
Engine Size
Ah alright thank you. So basically neither could really affect how the motor runs unless the fuel pump relay fails?

gmbellew

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
glen
Truck Year
Truck Model
suburban 1500
Engine Size
Ah alright thank you. So basically neither could really affect how the motor runs unless the fuel pump relay fails?
unless you have a short to ground in the 440 (orange wire) circuit. that can cause all sorts of havoc. 440 feeds power to ECM, oil pressure switch, and fuel pump relay.

caden_cochran

Reaction score
First Name
Caden
Truck Year
Truck Model
v10 pickup
Engine Size
you seem to know your away around these tbi’s this is off topic but whenever i crank it up it spits black smoke and misfires real bad almost sounds like i have a big cam. It goes away after a few seconds and runs normal with the exception of misfiring a little and running rich. Dude i’ve replaced just ab every sensor, injectors, everything to do with spark, throttle bodies pretty much rebuilt. it’s a lot to list but do u have any ideas?

CorvairGeek

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Scottsdale
Engine Size
292 L6, T400
unless you have a short to ground in the 440 (orange wire) circuit. that can cause all sorts of havoc. 440 feeds power to ECM, oil pressure switch, and fuel pump relay.
I had one do exactly that earlier in the year. This was a replacement for another (same brand - Warrantied) that leaked and always made the oil pressure light turn on until the engine lost pressure, AFTER the switch was turned off. This replacement did the same thing, until it left me stranded after blowing the fuse.
The new AC Delco works correctly, just like original one.
Aftermarket can't even make a simple oil pressure switch anymore!

Attachments

• Oil Pressure Switch Comp.jpg
    Oil Pressure Switch Comp.jpg
    138.2 KB · Views: 133

Rudy Mienert

Reaction score
First Name
Rudy
Truck Year
Truck Model
Blazer
Engine Size
ok, slightly related,...how do I test the oil pressure gauge (91 cluster repinned into my 79 Blazer, LS swapped) ..new ACDelco sender, (I know it doesnt necessarily mean its good),...cluster sender wired directly to sender. Sender connected, stays at 0, unplugged, pins out above 80...HHEELLPP!!!

mike

Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Need help figuring out how to remove wire plug from old oil pressure switch 1987 k1o

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bowers31