Nv3500 swap help.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nathanael Diffee

Reaction score
First Name
nathanael
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Does anybody know if this hydraulic release bearing will work with a 1996 and newer nv3500? Im doing my own setup with a wilwood clutch pedal-master cylinder and I've never done a manual transmission swap before so any help will be much appreciated. Its going in my 82 c10 with a 305. I have the flywheel, clutch, and pressure plate figured out already, the biggest question I have now is which hydraulic release bearing to run.

You must be registered for see images attach

Nathanael Diffee

Reaction score
First Name
nathanael
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
@bluex Im planning on running a factory oem clutch and pressure plate. Ive thought about running the factory style hydraulic throwout bearing that has the spring but I can't find anywhere to show me how to set the depth on it, I see the Howe is supposed to have an air gap of around .1 but with the stock one having a spring i don't know how much its supposed to be ingaged with the pedal at its neutral position. Sorry I know that may be dumb but I've never done a manual swap before. If you know how to setup the factory style with the spring I would love to know how.

Nathanael Diffee

Reaction score
First Name
nathanael
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
@bluex also, thanks for the link to your post, ive been following along with how you did your swap while planning mine.

bluex

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
C15
Engine Size
You don't setup an factory one, it's all set based on when it's made. You just bolt them on an go. As long as you use it with a factory pressure plate there's nothing to measure or set, you have to use a 96+ pressure plate though, not one for a square.

Nathanael Diffee

Reaction score
First Name
nathanael
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
@bluex thanks, im planning on running a 96 or newer trans out of an s10 since it uses the same diameter clutch that the motor in my truck used from the factory (11 inch) the motor in the truck is a 2 peice rear main seal since its pre 86 so i can't run the newer flywheel. Could I just get a clutch and pressure plate setup for whatever s10 I get the transmission out of since the clutch diameter for my motors flywheel are the same as the s10?

bluex

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
C15
Engine Size
My engine is a 2 piece as well. You can do exactly like i did in my thread clutch/flywheel wise. As far as i know you'll need to use the throw out bearing for the trans. That style you posted is for upgrading an older trans to hydraulic.

If you're dead set on using a stock master, you'll just have to figure out how to attach it to the 96+ bearing. Honestly for what a 85+ pedal set usually costs I'd do it the way I did with the wilwood master everytime. It works great an I've had zero issues out of it.

Nathanael Diffee

Reaction score
First Name
nathanael
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Thanks so much for your help! I am using a wilwood style like you did on your post. I really appreciate it!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
satansdad