NP205 question (pics included)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

84K30

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
Update: transmission/transfer case mount came yesterday. I plan on changing that out and cleaning, stripping and painting the crossmember tomorrow. Snap ring is scheduled to arrive Tuesday. Does anyone know if I am going to have to open my transfer case to install the snap ring? Or, can I install the ring and “massage” the bearing back into the correct location in the housing? Spring is rapidly approaching and I’m getting anxious to take this old girl for a nice long drive. New tires (265/75 BFG AT2s (white letters out, of course) on the stock 16” steelies will be my next purchase after this situation is all squared away.

PrairieDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban k10, bonanza k10, c30 C&C, c10, gmc 1/2ton
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350, 350
Update: transmission/transfer case mount came yesterday. I plan on changing that out and cleaning, stripping and painting the crossmember tomorrow. Snap ring is scheduled to arrive Tuesday. Does anyone know if I am going to have to open my transfer case to install the snap ring? Or, can I install the ring and “massage” the bearing back into the correct location in the housing? Spring is rapidly approaching and I’m getting anxious to take this old girl for a nice long drive. New tires (265/75 BFG AT2s (white letters out, of course) on the stock 16” steelies will be my next purchase after this situation is all squared away.
Snap ring installs on the outside of the case, no taking the case apart. As far as the bearing I'm not sure at what depth it seats at, there's a guy on YouTube that rebuilds a chevy np205 and a Muncie sm465 by the book and goes through all the steps. "Gebuilt" if I remember correctly, really informative videos.

84K30

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
Found the video you mentioned. Looks like a simple enough job. Thanks!

idahovette

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Perry
Truck Year
1975-1979
Truck Model
K20-K10
Engine Size
Found the video you mentioned. Looks like a simple enough job. Thanks!
Sometimes , it seems as if there is NOTHING simple about these trucks!!!!

Craig 85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
454/TH-400/NP205
Spring is rapidly approaching and I’m getting anxious to take this old girl for a nice long drive. New tires (265/75 BFG AT2s (white letters out, of course) on the stock 16” steelies will be my next purchase after this situation is all squared away.

You can run a little larger tire than the 265 without hitting the fenders. I know Frankenchevy is running a 16x8" wheel with 4" BS and 285/75/16's on his stock K30. Second picture is my truck when I bought it with 265's.

You must be registered for see images attach

84K30

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
Idahovette, it has been my experience that EVERY project comes with at least on setback or "snag" as I've come to refer to it. No matter how minor or routine.

Craig 85, we've discussed the tire situation in another post of mine. I wish I could find a place that would mount 285s for me, I had a hell of a time finding someone to mount 265s on the stock wheels. Most places told me they wouldn't go larger than 245s! Anything is better than the dry rotted, mismatched, unknown age stock size tires on it now.

idahovette

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Perry
Truck Year
1975-1979
Truck Model
K20-K10
Engine Size
Hey Eric , you need a friend with a tire machine!!!

Dmack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I have mounted several sets of 285s with my $40 harbor freight tire "machine", which is basically a mount that holds the tire and wheel at waist height . The tall sidewall actually makes them pretty easy to install.

Frankenchevy

Proverbs 16:18
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
You can run a little larger tire than the 265 without hitting the fenders. I know Frankenchevy is running a 16x8" wheel with 4" BS and 285/75/16's on his stock K30. Second picture is my truck when I bought it with 265's.

Dang, that’s a sweet looking truck!

80BrownK10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nate
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Idahovette, it has been my experience that EVERY project comes with at least on setback or "snag" as I've come to refer to it. No matter how minor or routine.

Craig 85, we've discussed the tire situation in another post of mine. I wish I could find a place that would mount 285s for me, I had a hell of a time finding someone to mount 265s on the stock wheels. Most places told me they wouldn't go larger than 245s! Anything is better than the dry rotted, mismatched, unknown age stock size tires on it now.
Pull the wheels and bring them all to a shop! Why would a shop not put tires on the rims? Your telling them to, not there problem if they hit your body when you bring them to install. If they ask. Tell them it's a k20 with two inches of lift?

Frankenchevy

Proverbs 16:18
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
I didn’t see if the OP mentioned wheel width, but if it’s a stock 6.5” or less, tire shops will have a tire cross section to rim cross section ratio they won’t exceed. I bought my truck with 285 tires on 6.5” wheels, but I’m not sure who mounted them.

The most stringent I’ve found is Costco. They won’t go more than 2% over/under stock size.

Also worth mentioning, if you carry in you won’t get any mileage or hazard warranty.

84K30

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
Update:

Installed the new snap ring today. Decided to clean, strip and paint the rear output shaft housing (wrinkle black) before reinstalling the rear drive shaft. Also removed, cleaned, stripped and painted the transmission cross member
(wrinkle black) and installed the new poly mounts.

Wheels are 16x6.5. I have considered getting 17x9 mickey thompson classic 3s in chrome/aluminum & 33x12.5s tires down the road but definitely not right now. I'm going through the truck addressing what I need to in order to pass state inspection.

Two of the larger/more expensive things that it needs are shocks and an exhaust.

Frankenchevy, those are both good looking rides!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rumpity_z28