NOT a cummins swap, not even close

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

6.2diesel

Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Truck Year
Truck Model
c30
Engine Size
6.2l
Ok so my lovely 6.2l is a wonderful engine, great mpg (20.8 without and overdrive, doing 65mph on a highway) anyways, the only issue is the put-you-back-in-your-seat power i want...... ok so i know that is not what the engine was made for, nor do i wanna push my poor little engine past that. What i was thinking is a 6.5l swap, but not just any little 6.5 out of a 1992-93 truck (correct years i think) i wanna use a 6.5l AM General Block, but then using a donor truck, swap out all that mechanical goodies onto it, Drop it in, swap the tranny to a nv4500 (sittin pretty with a th400 right now) and, after careful tuning of the fuel pump and turbo, along with some other things, be pushing out over 400lb of torque, because honestly thats all i want is the power of a 12v cummins..... ok ok hush i know what yall saying "why not just swap the cummins"
well its simple, so many people have done it i have seen 2 for sale last week alone... as far as i know, not many people do this, from what i can find, so lets hear the comments on this!

marks86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
12v Cummins
Hate to tell you this but a 6.2 will never have the put you back in the seat power. You can put a 6.5 turbo, bump, the timing, marine Injectors, but at the end of the day it's really a waste of money Becuase once you go that far the performance bug will have biten you and there is really no where to go. There is a reason that there is just about zero aftermarket parts for these engines. On that not I do have a emissions free 6.5 Intake for sale

Green79Scottsdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Have you done a lot of research on doing this? Do know what EXACTLY needs to go into a 6.5L build to get the power you want? Both parts and $$? Are your figures realistic? Are you going to keep this vehicle for a while after its done?

I ask these questions because you are 16, and you have a lot of potential builds in your future. I am all about doing something different, so I say go for it!! But... only if you know exactly what you are getting into, you are alright with the time, effort, and money you are going to put into this. Just some things to think about.

6.2diesel

Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Truck Year
Truck Model
c30
Engine Size
6.2l
Green, #1 thank you do seeing my age as possibility vs just not knowing anything about what im talking about. Also, yes i have researched it, and i dont know how many things will be cut out do to because entry level CAT techs dont get paid that well (ive already been promised a job out of school) but i am looking for something that can be doing roughly 400-450 lb feet, witch is a 12v cummins range. i know they say that you can get like 350 out of a banks turbo, and Also, i might just get one and try it out.. If i like it i will keep it like that then move onto other parts of the resto, pulling the bed off of it (factory sold it naked without a bed) and do all the magic under there and put a flatbed on it. Im thinking of using this as a show truck/rv hauler, but maybe 10,000lbs at 70mph would be nice, thank you for the comments.

With that said, Marks,
I am sorry and i think the "back in your seat term" may not have been right. I do not expect a cummins or 7.3 under the hood, but just as powerful as i can get it and stay with the engine concept

marks86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
12v Cummins
There is reason you don't see any built 6.2 diesels. I can talk like this because I DD a 6.2 diesel for a few years. It was a great engine, got great mileage, and was super reliable. But like the old saying if you cant beat them join them. I went with a 12v cummins and couldn't be happier. I had the list made out and all the research done to complete a 6.2 diesel build, but in the end it just wasn't worth it, and I will tell you what I would tell anyone else, save your money and invest in something else, or just keep it stock and run it

Green79Scottsdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Green, #1 thank you do seeing my age as possibility vs just not knowing anything about what im talking about. Also, yes i have researched it, and i dont know how many things will be cut out do to because entry level CAT techs dont get paid that well (ive already been promised a job out of school) but i am looking for something that can be doing roughly 400-450 lb feet, witch is a 12v cummins range. i know they say that you can get like 350 out of a banks turbo, and Also, i might just get one and try it out.. If i like it i will keep it like that then move onto other parts of the resto, pulling the bed off of it (factory sold it naked without a bed) and do all the magic under there and put a flatbed on it. Im thinking of using this as a show truck/rv hauler, but maybe 10,000lbs at 70mph would be nice, thank you for the comments.

With that said, Marks,
I am sorry and i think the "back in your seat term" may not have been right. I do not expect a cummins or 7.3 under the hood, but just as powerful as i can get it and stay with the engine concept

One reason I asked if you have done research is because I don't know a whole lot about diesels! I don't know how much parts are, or even what parts you may need for that matter.

If you are planning on keeping it or not can play a role on the proce point of things. If you were committed to keeping this truck for a while, spending good quality $$ money would be very worthwhile. I have just seen too many young kids get into a project and blow $10k when they only planned on $3k. Then they turn around soon after it's done and sell it for $4K, lose their ass money-wise, just because it didn't turn out how they envisioned. I don't want to see you do that.

I understand what marks is getting at. He is looking at it solely through the price-vs.-power equation. And I would agree with him too, everybody does a Cummins swap because they are cheap and you can get stupid power out of them easily. But, that's also why I say you should stay away from it... everybody else is doing it! I have been looking at doing EFI on my Monte. I have priced out injecting my current small block and also doing an LS conversion. They are really close in price, but the LS swap is so common these days that I don't want to do it.

Anyways, your potential is huge! Just the fact you have already come up with a plan and seem receptive to advice and criticism puts you ahead of a lot of other people.

Jrgunn5150

Questionable methods
Reaction score
First Name
J.R.
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
6.slow
I had a 6.2 back, maybe twelve year's ago? It was in a K5, I had it about two year's. Anyway, I put the Banks kit on it, and an upgraded pump from somewhere online, along with fresh injectors and glow plug's. I had it tuned up, and running well basically.

It felt about equivalent to a TBI 350, it ran ok, it wasn't dangerously slow like it was stock, I could merge in traffic, pass people, etc. I eventually sold it to a guy who wanted to do a 6.5 swap, etc, last I saw it, it was in the middle of a LS swap and seemed dead in the water.

If I had to do it again, I probably would, because I really wasn't asking much of the truck. It was an economical, cool, driver.

Engine swaps on the other hand, I'll never do another one again, that's a can of worms I'm just leaving closed from now on lol.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hoss1