No CRANK after rain......

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Octane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eddie
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
My magic wand says that the starter has a dead spot in the starter, that it occasionally stops at. Or a bad battery cable, with corrosion running up under the cables jacket.But as the dealer mechanics used to say"Don't know, just bring it in and we'll check it out"

fussfeld

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
j
Truck Year
Truck Model
c-10
Engine Size
4.3 v-6 262CID
My magic wand says that the starter has a dead spot in the starter, that it occasionally stops at. Or a bad battery cable, with corrosion running up under the cables jacket.But as the dealer mechanics used to say"Don't know, just bring it in and we'll check it out"

But if the starter was bad, wouldn't you still hear a click from the solenoid?

Octane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eddie
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
But if the starter was bad, wouldn't you still hear a click from the solenoid?
Not every time. I've parked mine before, and hours later go out to start it and it'd be like the battery was not even in the vehicle. Sometimes you can bang on the starter with a hammer to get it to crank over. But a lot of times not.I've had solenoids burn some inside and be intermittent, I've had bendix bad, starters bad, solenoids bad, even with reman, or even new parts. I've had brand new waterpumps go bad in under a year too. I went thru 3 master cylinders once in a little better than a year. I apparently have bad luck... or Chinesium made stuff is screwing me! Lol

Last edited:

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
What is voltage at the battery? At rest voltage?Running voltage? The reason I'm going down this rabbit hole is his problem went away temporarily when he put in a new battery. Did you clean your battery terminals real good,take them apart and clean them if the are the temporary replacement ends. I'm thinking this is voltage related somehow. Do a volt drop test on Alternator charging wire,both battery cables at all attachment points starter ground,starter hot,and starter solenoid trigger. If they all pass it has to be the starter. If 1 fails we are closer to finding the problem

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dan87r10