No cigarette lighter or dome light

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

T Anderson

Reaction score
First Name
Terry
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
I have an 86 GMC Sierra and there is no ashtray or dome light. There is no sign of them ever being there or any signs of them being shaved. Is this common? Ive never heard of it. Also on a side note how common are floor vents? Ive seen them in at least 3 pickuos but i have a friend who has been around these pickups his while life and has never heard of them until he rode in my pickup.

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
The only illumination for the ashtray is via a fiber optic cable that draws light from the upper inboard instrument light bulb. It works surprisingly well.

I have never run across a SB that didn't have a dome light. But don't go by me - I have not seen it all. For example, I learned just this morning (from a respected authority) that on some 70's Square Body models, you could listen to the radio without even having the key in the ignition.

But, if your friend has never seen a Chevy/GMC Square Body pickup truck with floor vents in his entire life.... IDK maybe when he says he has been "around them all his life", he is being absolutely literal (i.e. he has been around them - but never actually been inside one).

T Anderson

Reaction score
First Name
Terry
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
I have no ashtray at all. The dash is just smooth where it should be. Ive never seen any other sb like that.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
I wish I had those floor vents.

Pender1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
1986|2014
Truck Model
K5|1500
Engine Size
5.3L|5.3L
My '84 doesn't have a dome light. It came from the factory with no headliner, so nowhere to hide the wires I guess. He's probably only ever seen nice SB's with A/C and ****. Or he's only seen 1 SB and likes to exaggerate.

ThisOldK10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
Truck Model
R1500 Suburban
Engine Size
5.7L 350
I have an 83 K10 with no dome light but I do have an ash tray and lighter. I also those vents you pull on the floor. I think that's what you're talking about, no dash vents.

T Anderson

Reaction score
First Name
Terry
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
He's definitely been around square bodies his whole life. My 86 has AC, and manual floor vents. I know a guy who just bought a 76 with no headliner and a dome light. Looks like the wires were run through the roof.

smoothandlow84

I'd rather be draggin' frame
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
1984 Frame...87 motor and 700r trans
Truck Model
1500 r10 pavement scraper
Engine Size
350 TBI
I think that General Motors made square models that were considered "work" trucks...no ac, no headliner, no ashtray, vinyl bench seat, no cloth on the doors, just the basics. My first square ( a 74 stepside) started out its life as a work truck with a utility bed. It had a three speed on the floor with a granny gear, a 250 6 cyl, no ash tray, no dome light, no ac, and it had manual floor or rather kick panel doors for ventilation. There have been several different options on these squares over the years between 73 and 87. Its a curiousity how many variations there are. Even stranger are the Mexico square bodies and what they came with. I just saw an ad today for an 87 square body, but the dash looks more like an early 90s chevy. It looks stock, or it has been very well modified. It possible that it could be a Mexico version of the square as they are different than the U.S. versions.

bigcountry78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
James
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
My 78 custom deluxe had no radio, no dome light, does have an ashtray but no lighter in it. Dad added an 8 track and an aftermarket dome light from JC Whitney back in the day. He specifically ordered it with zero options other than 350 and 4wd. Also no ac, but does have manual floor vents.

Clutchski

Reaction score
First Name
Billy
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
I have a 87 gmc. No dome lights but i do have floor vents. It also has no head liner but im about to make my own. Either glue dip lips and cover it or get a cloth confederate flag patter and put it up. Ive only had my 87 for a few days so im in a learnin process. I had a big jacked up 85 f250 but i love my 87 gmc long bed alot better and it gets better then 5 mpg like my big ford got. Lol

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sammygunns