Newer Style Center Caps & Wheels On 1978 3/4 Ton Pickup-Stud Question....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CORVAIRWILD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
UGLYTRUK
Truck Year
Truck Model
K2500 Suburban 4x4
Engine Size
My friend has a 1978 Chevy 3/4 ton C20 pickup with newer 2000 or so chrome wheels. He's missing the center caps, but the question is, what stud and nut needs to be used? The truck has a couple of the double threaded nuts, but my review of ebay shows that they're all 14mm metric. So I'm really curious how the truck could have metric nuts on SAE studs? I only saw the truck for a few minutes, but I hope to go back and look at it, and maybe remove a stud to see exactly how a metric nut is installed on what should be an SAE stud.
I emailed a couple of ebay vendors to enquire about SAE double thread studs, and all they had was 14mm netric.
I'll also have to see if the rims are painted with chrome covers. I read about the chrome covers available for silver painted wheels, and my brief encounter with the truck I sort of noticed what may be a chrome dress up cover on the painted wheel.

BTW, the truck is in Israel, where I'm vacationing now.

You must be registered for see images attach

CORVAIRWILD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
UGLYTRUK
Truck Year
Truck Model
K2500 Suburban 4x4
Engine Size
Wow, that was fast!

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
Dual thread nuts are the ticket. I used the smaller version on my 85 couple of years back

da_raabi

Trailer Park Supervisor
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Truck Year
Truck Model
c30
Engine Size
Holy moly! Thats awesome! I've been wanting to use newer-style lug covers on the dooley but haven't been able to figure out the lugnut issue. I guess this takes care of it! SWEET

Big Chip

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
C35
Engine Size
Holy moly! Thats awesome! I've been wanting to use newer-style lug covers on the dooley but haven't been able to figure out the lugnut issue. I guess this takes care of it! SWEET
The dually lugnuts are a 90 degree cone as opposed to the 60 degree cone of the duplex lugs. I’m not sure if the rings can be remachined or of you can machine the lug nuts. I’m not even sure if it makes any difference but I assume it wouldn’t be good to mix and match cone angles.

Big Chip

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
C35
Engine Size

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
The dually lugnuts are a 90 degree cone as opposed to the 60 degree cone of the duplex lugs. I’m not sure if the rings can be remachined or of you can machine the lug nuts. I’m not even sure if it makes any difference but I assume it wouldn’t be good to mix and match cone angles.

Huh, never noticed that.

Perhaps newer trucks with metric lugs used the 60 degree taper and those rings might fit?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
M37M35