3/4 ton studs on half ton help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pos87k10

Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
350ci
Hello everyone, I’m somewhat new to the truck scene, and I have a few questions. I’m I like the think I’m pretty mechanically savvy, and I can tear apart a dirt bike or quad or really anything with a small engine, but as I get older, I’m getting more into the big leagues one could say. Anyways… my 87 k10 half ton (obviously) broke 4 studs going down the road the other day, and I guess it’s a common problem. Mine is on a 6 inch suspension lift and 3 inch body, rolling a set of 35-13.5s. Needless to say, she’s a big girl. I have a buddy who’s a mechanic and he says that I’ll have to convert to 3/4 ton 8 lug axles, but I don’t have the money for that. So here’s my question; if I were to bring my hubs to a machine shop, could I have them drill new holes for 3/4 ton studs, or just way thicker ones that fit in my wheel better and would be safer but still 6 lug to fit my rims? I just can’t afford to get axles and rims and all that right now, and it puts me in a tough spot. Any other suggestions would be welcome as well! I appreciate the help!

dvdswan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Welcome to the site.

I haven't had an issue with 1/2T studs breaking myself. Not to say that it couldn't happen.

I would suggest just replace all the old studs with new ones would be the way to go.

The front axle hubs can be swapped over with no issues. 3/4T trucks had dana 44s and corporate 10 bolts just like the 1/2Ts.

Rear axle is a complete different story. It would be cheaper to buy the 14 bolt axle than have a machine shop do any work.

Curt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-30
Engine Size
I will tell you the number 1 reason for broken lug studs is either over torquing or under torquing.

Not saying that’s the cause of your particular problem...but from experience,this is what I’ve seen.Ever seen the tire shop and their over air supplied ingersol rand thunder gun (625 ft lbs) put that **** to your wife’s sedan?Well that is why your wheel stud torque is listed in the owners manual or a repair manual.My 9/16 studs,with my rim size,one ton studs only call for 120 foot pounds.

1979k10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Agreed^
I’ve not ever heard of it being an issue. Just get some new quality studs like Moser, press em in and be on your way.

oldretiredafguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
1988, 1988, 1991, 1983
Truck Model
GMC V-Jimmy, GMC Suburban 4WD, GMC Suburban 4WD, GMC-2500 CrewCab
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350
Agreed^
I’ve not ever heard of it being an issue. Just get some new quality studs like Moser, press em in and be on your way.

x2

Rickf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
1974, 1954 & a 1937
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
If on a budget, pop out a good stud to measure and match it up at your local parts store. Don't be surprised if it a 12m x 1.5.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
You have a 34 year old truck presumably on wheel studs that could be original or likely you don’t know how/what has happened to them over the years.
Unless you’re hauling a ton in the bed everywhere or playing Baja 1000 with your truck, 6 lugs is more than enough.
Replace all the studs (cheap and relatively easy) with new quality ones. Make sure your wheels aren’t destroying them (wallowed out holes or something) and enjoy another 34 years of truckin with them!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chuchito