1975 C20 3+3 Build Story ride along

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jsin

Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
5.7L 350
This is going to be a build a thread and just a fun ride along journey with me as I get this 1975 C20 3+3 truck going and doing truck things again.

In case you missed my introduction post:
https://www.gmsquarebody.com/threads/jsins-1975-c20-3-3.29119/#post-565943
Here are a couple of pics from the ad where I originally bought it from:
You must be registered for see images attach

First thing I changed on this truck almost immediately was the front brake calipers. I got some from Rockauto just to get me going again as mine were both frozen up. Here are the part numbers I ordered RH: 18P4035; LH: 18P4036, Cardone about $35.00 each. I didn't get any pictures of the new calipers but here is a crusty picture of my old one.

The next thing was the wheels and tires. I think one of those 16.5” wheels was bent, the guys at the tire shop had a hell of a time getting the bead to seat. Then it would just come off a couple days later. Those 16.5” wheels had to go anyway. So I found some 2009 GMC aluminum wheels a buddy was trying to get rid of, same bolt pattern as the 8 lug C20’s 8x6.5”. Picked those up for $200.00 sold the old 16.5” wheels and tires for $250.00. Here it is with the new wheels, still need to get new tires, but I will do that when it's driving again. I am also going to get the conversion lug nuts to run the center caps. I am going to get the lug nuts that are 9/16-18 ID thread with the correct OD thread for those stock style caps.

As I began to test drive it around the neighborhood I noticed it was lacking power when I would first get on it and it would just about die. Of course I thought it was a vacuum leak so I started to investigate. This is where the fun began as it usually does. I began to uncover the PO’s “fixes” one by one. Numerous vacuum leaks from open fittings to hoses run to nothing. Valve covers had been glued on with one tube of permatex per side, I mean this stuff was all over the place. Oil leaking out of the halfway installed dipstick tube right onto the hedmen headers. 7 of the 8 build it yourself spark plug wires were barely getting spark to incorrect plugs for vortec heads. I could go on with this but all of this investigation ended up in me pulling the intake and that’s when I discovered it was cracked. The reason I ended up pulling the intake was I discovered that whenever the PO did the serpentine swap he did not update the water pump. The water pump pulley on the serpentine system I have is run off the back of the belt. Which if you don’t change the water pump and keep your original style pump it will be pumping backwards which is what was happening to mine. So now I have repaired a lot of the PO “fixes” which I will be posting here in this build thread. I am very close to firing it up again so stay tuned as I post more of my fixes and updates on the progress.

Here is a picture of the engine as it sits now, new pump, new valve cover gaskets, new used intake, new intake gaskets, new tensioner, new idler pulley bearing, new distributor, new fuel pump, new an fuel fittings and an line, new summit fuel pressure gauge, new edelbrock feed line kit, new russel an filter, new carb studs, installed valve cover studs correctly, and I'm sure I' missing things but I will be doing in depth right ups on some of this stuff individually so keep your eyes open for more content.

Craig 85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
454/TH-400/NP205
I know you were talking of removing the body lift. If you want to keep some of the height here's what I did. Air Lift air bags in the front coils and a 2" block in the rear to match the front lift. These are the only pictures I have of that truck once lifted. Tires were 33x12.50x16.5's.

Jsin

Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
5.7L 350
Thank you gentleman

@Craig 85 I was hopping to be able to run 33" tires without trimming the fenders, IDK if you can see it these pictures but the PO trimmed the fenders and that bums me out. It's cool on some trucks but I prefer stock looking sheet metal on mine. All of that stuff is a long way down the list tho. I gotta fix all these engine surprises first then to the transmission. thank you again

Catbox

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Silverado Camper Special
Engine Size
These are 285's on my 2wd big block 3/4 ton.
They are 33ish and fit until you had to turn.
They would dig into the bottom of the fender trim something fierce.

Mine is stock height with old stock suspension.
Perhaps with new springs, you could be close to not having to cut the fenders....

Catbox

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Silverado Camper Special
Engine Size
That it is.
You can see it there in the left column near the bottom on my ID thingy.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
Is your yellow colonial yellow 6 and uh..... white?
If you'd like I could clean up my hood for an example of the factory hood external decor package. I asked it on a nother thread and the RPO goes for it. Puts in a good ornament and colored stripes

Craig 85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
454/TH-400/NP205
Thank you gentleman

@Craig 85 I was hopping to be able to run 33" tires without trimming the fenders.

I only had to trim them a very minor amount on my C20. Looked stock though. If you ran an 8" wide wheel you may not have to.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
That it is.
You can see it there in the left column near the bottom on my ID thingy.

My bad, I didnt quote you properly in my last message. Did you see what I wrote?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deankelly