Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tobe's84Jimmy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Tobe
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy Sierra Classic
Engine Size
5.7 350
welcome good Sir. man that sucks about the smog, up here in WA it's 25 years old and you dont smog after that.

spanky55amg

I'll give u $5, a hardy handshake, & 5 fish sticks
Reaction score
First Name
Spanky
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Short Fleet
Engine Size
V8
Welcome... and move to Texas, 20+ years for no smog. Suck it other smog states... and F you non-smog states, like Indiana where I grew up. But have fun with the rust. Haha.

RustyPile

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
1983 GMC
Truck Model
Engine Size
350 SBC
Some areas of Texas don't require smog certification for ANY years, determined by amount of smog produced by area vehicles and industries. Until 2012, I lived my entire life in the Beaumont, Texas area, which has numerous petrochemical plants including Exxon/Mobil.. The businesses all work very hard to maintain below standard emissions. My "other" vehicles are 2007 and 2002 Fords.. I bought both new and neither have ever been smog checked..

Iheartmy85gmc

Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500
Engine Size
5.7l 350
It's true, California Smog is one of the toughest to pass... and I for sure won't pass right now. Took it to a guy down the road and he sniff tested it and NOx was off the charts. Maybe because my egr valve isn't even connected lol. The wires are just clipped and I have no idea where they come from. Anybody able to explain to this bonehead how to hook up my egr??
You must be registered for see images attach

RustyPile

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
1983 GMC
Truck Model
Engine Size
350 SBC
The grey wire goes to terminal "T" on the ECM.. The pink w/blk tracer comes from terminal "C" of the ECM.. That wire also goes to the Carburetor Air Purge Solenoid, Air Diverter Solenoid, and the carburetor Air/Fuel Solenoid.. That pink/blk wire travels throughout the ECM harness and has several splices along the way.. It should be an easy fix unless some PO totally butchered the wiring.... When you make your tie-ins, do not use crimped splices -- solder and heat shrink is the order of the day..

Iheartmy85gmc

Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500
Engine Size
5.7l 350
Thank you! I'll get after it soon and see what I come up with! Hopefully the electric valve is operational. It probably isn't though hence the reason it was cut in the first place?? No idea though, we will see..

RustyPile

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
1983 GMC
Truck Model
Engine Size
350 SBC
Thank you! I'll get after it soon and see what I come up with! Hopefully the electric valve is operational. It probably isn't though hence the reason it was cut in the first place?? No idea though, we will see..

The pink/blk wire carries the supply voltage to all those devices.. The voltage is generated by the ECM and is constant. Tthe individual devices are controlled by the ECM through the other wires going to them.. If I remember correctly that supply voltage is not 12VDC. Before you jumper 12 volts to the EGR solenoid, check terminal "C" to determine the actual voltage value.. I'm thinking it's 5 volts or some low value.. If it is and you apply 12 volts to the solenoid, you'll burn out the solenoid...

CCSS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Truck Year
1985 & 1986
Truck Model
C10 & K5
Engine Size
4.3 & 5.7
SMOG! Wth is that?? Jk but I do live in a state that does no testing. We just cut that crap off and throw it in the trash.:superhack: :happy160:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1977chevyc30