Newbie from DFW

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

84 square

Reaction score
First Name
Earl
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Hello all,

I thought I posted this earlier but I can't find it so I will post it again. I will soon be the proud owner of an 83 GMC square body. Going to South Texas this weekend to pick it up for my mobile detailing business. It's two tone blue and needs a little paint work(clear coat peeling in a few areas). I will do some buffing and polishing of the paint and then decide sometime next year on painting it. Would love to do a two tone dark blue with white down the middle. No major plans performance wise other than a tune up etc. Old77 a fellow member on tahoe/yukon forum told me about this site, glad he did.

I also joined GMCFS yesterday but it looks like I will spend most of my time on this site. Old77 told me I might have a 350 or possbily a 305 motor in it. When I get it how would I be able to tell? I had a 73 GMC long bed in college but traded it in on an 87 GMC jimmy(one of my biggest regrets) as I really miss that truck. I would work on that truck myself for the most part so hoepfully I will be able to work on this one as well.

Looking forward to learning from you guys and seeing your square bodies. Old77 thanks again, you seem like a hell of guy. Talk to you guys soon.

Earl

Stroked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jared
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Welcome to GMSB!

You'll have to get the casting number off the pad on drivers side of the back of the engine and then someone here can tell you what it is. Right behind the head.

It's a bugger to get to and usually hidden underneath a bunch of oily dirt. I cleaned mine off the best I could and then bought some kid's silly putty and reached back there and pressed it on. Then just carefully peal it off and read the number.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Welcome aboard

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size
350/350/454
:welcome: Glad you made it over man :handshake: You'll love it here!

gpmorgan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
greg
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Welcome Earl.

Mr Clean

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Truck Year
1982 & 1985
Truck Model
K10 Extra Cab w/ Proper SWB, & 85 K5 Blazer
Engine Size
454 BBC, & 383 Stroker
:welcome: from N.E. Texas!

84 square

Reaction score
First Name
Earl
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Pics

Thanks everybody. Here are some pics of her. Hoepfully these will come through. Not quite the pro some of you guys are quite yet on these forums. Well hell, let me try it again. You don't have to have so many posts before you can upload pics do you?

84 square

Reaction score
First Name
Earl
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Let's see if this works. Nope. I'll try later. I'm embarrassed.

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size
350/350/454
Do you have a Photobucket account? That may be easier.

84 square

Reaction score
First Name
Earl
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Live and learn

I have heard these words spoken most my life(live and learn) . Ok, still no pics.... I promise to get some posted ASAP. I picked up my 84(not 83) GMC long bed. Can I change my member name or do I have to re-register? It has a 305 and I am somewhat disappointed about that; however I think it will be good enough for what I am using the truck for. I have gotten a quote for a 350 but this may be a 2015 project. I towed it to a family members house(who is a mechanic) as he has 3 acres and plenty of room to store it. It needs a tune-up really bad. Can only get it started by using some B12. We removed the smog pump belt as he said I did not need the use of the pump. Never heard of this pump before but I trust his knowledge.

It has the sliding rear window which I love but the hardware(latch, trim etc) is missing. I have not been able to find just the hardware, called lmc truck and they only sell the whole window. Any ideas where I can get just the hardware? It has rust areas and two spots that is pretty bad where the metal is starting to rotten out. It will end up being more of a project than I had planned but I have never had a project before so I am really excited about it. It was given to me so I saved money on the front end. Has new tires so I won't have to worry about that anytime soon. They are all-terrain and I will go with a different style when it's time for a new set. I hope to have pics posted today. The last two weeks have been crazy so I apologize for the delay in the pics.

bobkyle2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5 Blazer
Engine Size
Welcome

Stroked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jared
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
You might need to PM one of the moderators to see about getting your user name changed.

A 305 isn't the worst engine in the world, but a 350 would for sure be better. As long is it runs good, I don't think you'll mind it. My K10 has a 305 and it still runs pretty good so I'm just saving up slowly collecting parts to build the 350 I want.

As for the sliding rear window hardware, you'll probably have to check the local salvage yards or maybe eBay. I've never seen the hardware for sale new.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mistafishe