New windshield tips?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
I have a buddy that owns a glass joint and he's coming over Friday to install a NEW windshield he ordered for me. He said he was gonna try and reuse the seal and put in a new lock because the old one is yellowed and looks terrible. :)
I'm curious if there is anything I should know before dude pulls my shield out? Seems like a once in a lifetime opportunity.

Your input will be appreciated.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
You'll need to get the mounting button off the windshield for the mirror but he should already be used to that. Check if your windshield has the built in radio antenna. There will be a cord coming out of the bottom center of it that runs to the back of the radio. I would also have some materials on the side ready to go if you come across any rust spots. Probably wouldn't hurt to yank the dash pad too.

Skweegle89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I have a buddy that owns a glass joint and he's coming over Friday to install a NEW windshield he ordered for me. He said he was gonna try and reuse the seal and put in a new lock because the old one is yellowed and looks terrible. :)
I'm curious if there is anything I should know before dude pulls my shield out? Seems like a once in a lifetime opportunity.

Your input will be appreciated.

its pretty straightforward. not much to it really. Pull the seal and pop the old one out. lube up the new one and pop it back in. make sure you have a good set of windshield wipers so you don't scratch the crap out of your new glass. If he has been doing it for very long it will just take him 45 minutes or so. We have an older guy that comes to work to replace truck windshields all the time and it takes him about 20 minutes a pop.

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
Probably the best advice/tip you're gonna hear is this from 89Sub:

I would also have some materials on the side ready to go if you come across any rust spots.

Have wire brushes (including toothbrush size & drill mounted).

Try to get your hands on some phosphoric acid to arrest any active oxidation. It is available at home stores, hardware stores, paint suppliers, etc. - like $12 -$15 for a gallon. Spray or brush it on the substrate after the rust has been mechanically removed. Let it dry as long as you can and rinse the excess off with fresh water. Try to get some kind of top coat on the treated areas. If you can buy a small can of POR-15 - that would certainly be a good option.

Like you already know, this will be a great opportunity to get any repairs done. Nobody likes to pull their glass to fix rust that is bubbling out from the seal - sometimes it's too late at that point.

Here are some images showing a Saab 9000 with a rusted windshield frame that I recently had to deal with:

You must be registered for see images attach

Kind of ruined my day. But with a bit of wire brushing and some Metal-prep (POR-15's version of phosphoric acid), I think I stopped it for now:

A lot of auto glass places will not install replacement glass in a rotted frame anymore - due to liability issues.

Last edited:

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
Thank you for the replies gentlemen. My new date with the glass guy is this Sunday, the 15th. "Metal Prep" huh? That's useful info and so is that last picture. Looking at that I guess if we pull if and find rust I'll have him come back later so I can repair any issues. Sometimes I forget exactly what it is I'm working on...it's not like some other things that are chock full of good opportunities for repair without a windshield. That is what I had in mind when I posted and it seems kind of silly in hindsight.
Rust repair? Lol...Not previously considered , which I find both funny and sad...

This IS Oklahoma = it's not much trouble here and the truck is actually in pretty good shape. I'd bet it's an Oklahoma truck.
We'll see what happens!
I'll be sure to hit before and after pics to put in my under construction thread but I'll post here so you can check em out if interested.
Thanks again.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tnahaus