New vortecs, New Valve train?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RustyBuckets

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jake
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Im doing a head and cam swap on my 350.

The question i have is i found some good cast vortecs but they come without a valve train.

Do i need to buy all new rockers, valves etc? Can i reuse old ones if they look decent?

Should i look for assembled heads?
Thanks

Some more info
* cam choice is Comp Cams#249-12-210-2 (268 dur)(.454 lift)
*heads are the link below if it works
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-GM-CHEVY-SBC-CAST-IRON-VORTEC-PERFORMANCE-HEADS-/170827837152?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item27c621eee0&vxp=mtr

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
Your old valves and springs wont work I dont think. I would look for z28 springs which will allow for more lift in the future if you want to upgrade the cam later. Vortec springs are 1.25" diameter and I think that's why the old ones wont work, and your old valves I believe are longer.

SmashBack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
Big 10
Engine Size
I'd look for a new set, or at least a good used set. For peace of mind you'll want comp springs/retainers/keepers. I've got a set (google for this, I can't remember the numbers) that allows you to run around .500 lift without machining. I wouldn't risk the use of z28 springs although they may work. Anyway new heads come with an excellent valve job and you don't need those big 2.02 valves. Stock Vortec valves are fine. Used rockers etc are fine as long as they are for a Vortec. I bought new take offs from a ZZ4 engine online for like $50.

Also, unless I'm mistaken those are not made by GM. There's a lot of advantages to the GM Vortecs over cheap aftermarket replacements. I'm sure there's also better versions for more money.

Oh and on that cam you might want to check out the XE268, I think I'd prefer that over the older HE268 that you mentioned. I actually run the XE268 in a Mopar 318 and it's pretty decent.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tazdar