Cutting down valve guides & reusing head bolts??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OldBlueDually

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Truck Year
1976 GMC
Truck Model
C30
Engine Size
455 Olds
The D and Fs are the W-30 heads. The F are like Unicorn heads. BIG BIG Money. The early E's are not so bad, the later E's not so much. You have the best of the somewhat common found heads.

I wonder what is different dimensionally between those W-30 heads and the C heads I have? Valve sizes, or port sizes, or both?

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I wonder what is different dimensionally between those W-30 heads and the C heads I have? Valve sizes, or port sizes, or both?
I would imagine both. They're the heads the true gurus go nuts for. I just know that C is the best heads that can be found and your head not get ripped off since they're said to be Pre Smog heads and flow better than the later heads.

OldBlueDually

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Truck Year
1976 GMC
Truck Model
C30
Engine Size
455 Olds
I guess it also pays to sometimes read the booklet stuff comes with! Take these new valve springs for instance, I installed all of them like I "thought" I was supposed to until another Hot Rod buddy of mine said "you should take out that inner spring to break in the cam"....so I read through the booklet from comp cams, sure enough it said "if running dual springs, remove the inner spring for the break in period".

Here I thought I was ahead until I read that, off come all the springs to remove the inner spring. Oh well. Now it is correct and after the break in period I can install them.....ugghhh...

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I guess it also pays to sometimes read the booklet stuff comes with! Take these new valve springs for instance, I installed all of them like I "thought" I was supposed to until another Hot Rod buddy of mine said "you should take out that inner spring to break in the cam"....so I read through the booklet from comp cams, sure enough it said "if running dual springs, remove the inner spring for the break in period".

Here I thought I was ahead until I read that, off come all the springs to remove the inner spring. Oh well. Now it is correct and after the break in period I can install them.....ugghhh...
Good for your buddy. Goes to show, none of us know it all, but between all of us, we damn sure do.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
BTW, be thankful you know what dual springs are. This 64 year old roommate I live with that puts me down all the time telling me I don't know **** and this fugger don't know ****. I'm telling you what. He's one of those that has done it all, better than anyone else etc. I thought he was a good mechanice from all this stories I heard when I knew him. But after moving in with him and living here for a few years, it tool me about 6 months to realize all he knows is about 1980 and older small block chevy. PERIOD !!!

Now I talk about drag racing back in my days and he claims he was blah blah blah. One day we get to talking and he's talking about dual springs that Chevy used on stock OEM builds. I said ******** !!! No they didn't. Yeah they did. And he goes on to say, I've even seen TRIPLE valve springs. Dude, you're full of ****. Then I bring this engine to the house. And he's gloating and telling me, See SEE, SEEEE, I told you, right there, Dual Springs, and you even said this is stock virgin core ready to rebuild. Huh, what? Where dude? Look at it, just look !!! Uhhhh NOOOOOO *******, that's not dual springs. That's single springs with a dampner. Duhhh you stupid ass, a Dampner goes on the front of the engine called a balancer, those are dual springs, see you should listen to me, I've been turning wrenches since you were shittin' yella. :happy175: I said, have another beer you ******* backwoods hillbilly stupid motherfugger. You don't know ****. Needless to say, I welcome being corrected, but this guy... OMG !!! And he'll argue and argue that he's right and he don't know ****. But, I know, 'm an engine builder. Yeah OK dude, you're a legend in your own mind. Have another beer.

Vbb199

B-rate Hillbilly Customs
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Truck Year
89, 79
Truck Model
89 Suburban R1500, 79 C10
Engine Size
350, 502
BTW, be thankful you know what dual springs are. This 64 year old roommate I live with that puts me down all the time telling me I don't know **** and this fugger don't know ****. I'm telling you what. He's one of those that has done it all, better than anyone else etc. I thought he was a good mechanice from all this stories I heard when I knew him. But after moving in with him and living here for a few years, it tool me about 6 months to realize all he knows is about 1980 and older small block chevy. PERIOD !!!

Now I talk about drag racing back in my days and he claims he was blah blah blah. One day we get to talking and he's talking about dual springs that Chevy used on stock OEM builds. I said ******** !!! No they didn't. Yeah they did. And he goes on to say, I've even seen TRIPLE valve springs. Dude, you're full of ****. Then I bring this engine to the house. And he's gloating and telling me, See SEE, SEEEE, I told you, right there, Dual Springs, and you even said this is stock virgin core ready to rebuild. Huh, what? Where dude? Look at it, just look !!! Uhhhh NOOOOOO *******, that's not dual springs. That's single springs with a dampner. Duhhh you stupid ass, a Dampner goes on the front of the engine called a balancer, those are dual springs, see you should listen to me, I've been turning wrenches since you were shittin' yella. :happy175: I said, have another beer you ******* backwoods hillbilly stupid motherfugger. You don't know ****. Needless to say, I welcome being corrected, but this guy... OMG !!! And he'll argue and argue that he's right and he don't know ****. But, I know, 'm an engine builder. Yeah OK dude, you're a legend in your own mind. Have another beer.

I once knew a guy like that, suffice it to say, i completely ignore his calls, and avoid him like a disease.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I once knew a guy like that, suffice it to say, i completely ignore his calls, and avoid him like a disease.
OH yeah. I have to live here with this guy. But I refuse to talk cars and trucks with him anymore. That pisses him off.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aaron06