New rings are too tight.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Galane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Gregg
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra 3500
Engine Size
#3 main bearing was bad on the 1991 350 so I bought a new Eagle cast steel crank and King bearings. No problems there.

Also decided it may as well get new rings too. Bought a set of Sealed Power E-251X standard 4" rings. Put them in the bores and squared up, plenty of end gap.

Put them on a piston and the #@%@ thing has to be driven into the hole. Got one in and connected to the crank, way too tight to move. Drive it back out and not a thing wrong with anything.

Yes, I cleaned everything, ring grooves scraped out, ran a three stone hone to scuff all the cylinders too. After the first try showed the rings appeared to be burnishing the cylinder I got my other hone with finer stones and ran it in the cylinders some.

Also had to buy a new ring compressor since I can't find the one I last used around 4 years ago.

HTH can standard rings in a standard bore, with the right end gap, become so flipping tight when put on the same pistons that have always been in the engine?

The pistons without rings on fit real nice, can just feel a tiny bit of rock fore and aft, none sideways. The sides and skirts of the pistons show very little wear.

I've done this same thing on many engines where all the cylinders needed was honed a bit and new standard rings. The pistons slide in easy and can be pushed up and down with a bit of effort. 'Course most of those were that brand that starts with F and isn't Italian.

$^$%#more delays getting this 91 setup into the 82 flatbed. Makes me even more happy I only paid $175 for the engine and trans, and sold the trans for $150. 'Course I paid for a rebuilt trans, new bearings, new crank, new timing set, new billet aluminum distributor 'cause the old one had nearly 1/4" slop in the shaft. Don't know how the thing ran so great.

friscobob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C 10
Engine Size
I'd install one ring only and see which ring was causing the problem. Do the oil ring first. Is it a 3 piece ring? I loved those Seal Power rings (oil), but they can be buggers to assemble right. You did clean out the bottoms of the ring lands. Make sure the depth of the ring fits the piston.
Bob

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
I'd be willing to put money on it being the oil ring depth.

I had the exact same issue on my 88 tbi truck. I bought standard rings for it, way too tight, called summit and they said it had 2 or 3 different oil ring depths. I had the deep ones and needed shallow from what I can remember. It fixed my problem though.

Galane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Gregg
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra 3500
Engine Size
Federal Mogul says I should need set E377X. The ones I bought are what every online vendor I checked said was the right rings.

Yet another piece of wrong information that comes from a single source that *everyone copies* then is #%%#@ing near impossible to get corrected.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
strokedK15