New radiator suggestions?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Italianwagon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20 Suburban
Engine Size
What are your guys thoughts for brands and style of radiators for 3/4 ton 87 suburban?

I see all the other threads... lol just wondering fresh thoughts etc

84 M1008

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Truck Year
Truck Model
M1008 K30
Engine Size
6.2 diesel
What are your guys thoughts for brands and style of radiators for 3/4 ton 87 suburban?

Most of them are Chinese crap anyway, unless you want to put an aluminum radiator in it. If you have a gas or diesel, get the diesel radiator, it'll never overheat.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size

If you still have the original copper radiator, I'd try really hard to find a radiator shop that can rebuild it. Failing that I'd try to pull a good one from a wrecking yard. Anything you get at the parts store will be aluminum core, with plastic tanks and like 84 M1008 said they are crap quality compared to the original.

Most of them are Chinese crap anyway, unless you want to put an aluminum radiator in it. If you have a gas or diesel, get the diesel radiator, it'll never overheat.

Getting a Diesel radiator is a good idea and I hadn't though of that.

Doppleganger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
I would seek to keep/repair the brass-cuprous unit as a first option and maybe look into the Champion as a secondary option. Plastic incorporated radiators are cheap and ubiquitous, and you can repair them yourself to extend their lives some if you want, but they’re more of an interval replacement part rather than a life of the vehicle part like the OEM intended back in the day. Plenty of them didn’t make it, as you see lots of plastic-aluminum radiators in old vehicles, but that’s more of an owner negligence issue with regard to keeping good/ample coolant and proper water in the system rather than a quality or design fault.

75gmck25

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25 Camper Special TH350 NP203
Engine Size
I have the Jegs Champion radiator (all aluminum, no plastic) and I used the stock shroud, fan and fan clutch. There were no fitment issues on my ‘75 with 350. Cooling performance has been outstanding with this radiator.

Bruce

Doppleganger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Any idea if the factory fan shroud will work with this radiator, if a person wanted to retain the mechanical fan.

The dimensions were spot on with the original so cant see it being any problem. I had intended on going dual fans awhile ago and their kit was a direct fit for it - only reason I picked them up.

:hat:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ls85c10man