New member, first truck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
Does it still have the 250 in it, or did they swap in an SBC? The Silverado equipment tells me that this was a base truck (Custom Deluxe) that had options ordered a la cart by whomever. @bucket ? Cue your A/C, automatic transmission, power steering, and that looks to be about it that I can see. Oh, and the door panel on the driver on the right side is the correct one. The one on the passenger is 77-79 looks like. I think it’s a good start. It’s simple even by square body standards. The interior’s hurting pretty bad, but I’m willing to bet everything else is good to go.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
The Silverado option means it got all the standard Silverado trim and the associated badging. The Silverado package was trim only, with quad headlights, uplevel grille, bodyside mouldings, wheel well trim, taillight trim, interior carpet, headliner, door panels with carpet inserts and aluminum trim and aluminum trim on the dash as well. Most had power options, but it was not included with the Silverado option.

I never realized though, that the chrome rear bumper option was not standard with Silverado equipment.

mmanter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Does it still have the 250 in it, or did they swap in an SBC? The Silverado equipment tells me that this was a base truck (Custom Deluxe) that had options ordered a la cart by whomever. @bucket ? Cue your A/C, automatic transmission, power steering, and that looks to be about it that I can see. Oh, and the door panel on the driver on the right side is the correct one. The one on the passenger is 77-79 looks like. I think it’s a good start. It’s simple even by square body standards. The interior’s hurting pretty bad, but I’m willing to bet everything else is good to go.
Yep, still the 250. Runs pretty decent. The doors aren't original from what I can tell, but appears the driver door panel was put on the replacement door. It's a little on the rough side, but nothing I can't get fixed to be a good running, driving truck. I have a line on a pair of door panels that are correct for that year, priced at $40 for the pair. They'll do for now. The seat will eventually be replaced, but for now I'll put a cover on. I'm hoping the 78 at the junk yard has a rubber floor mat, so I can install that as well since mine is missing. I found it was originally sold at a dealer in Texas. Out of all the things with the truck I didn't expect the owner's manual, and new tuck warranty information pamphlet, as well as a few repair receipts.

mmanter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
The Silverado option means it got all the standard Silverado trim and the associated badging. The Silverado package was trim only, with quad headlights, uplevel grille, bodyside mouldings, wheel well trim, taillight trim, interior carpet, headliner, door panels with carpet inserts and aluminum trim and aluminum trim on the dash as well. Most had power options, but it was not included with the Silverado option.

I never realized though, that the chrome rear bumper option was not standard with Silverado equipment.
That's good information. I was wondering why it had the Silverado package but 250 engine. I'm not sure if the rear bumper is original to the truck or not, but looks like it hadn't been replaced.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
The rear bumper doesn't look to be a GM bumper, but it's a close match to the original painted bumper.

mmanter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
The rear bumper doesn't look to be a GM bumper, but it's a close match to the original painted bumper.
Oh cool. I figure I'll throw a coat of paint on it and be done with the bumper. It'll be a truck that'll haul whatever I need for the house, so perfect it doesn't need to be... for now. Eventually I'll work on restoring it

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
No criticism intended to your truck, by the way. We just like to dissect them to the bone to see what all’s been done and so forth.

mmanter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
No criticism intended to your truck, by the way. We just like to dissect them to the bone to see what all’s been done and so forth.
**** to me that's the only way to learn about something I don't know anything about. Last square body truck I seen was in 1997 when my friend had one he drove daily.

mmanter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I been outside with the truck after I cut the grass... Wanting to know what makes things tick, and what makes certain things not tick... like the radio, blower motor, dome light lol. It's all part of the journey to me.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SMC2224