New JET stage 2 carb (quadrajet)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

77 K20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 5" lift
Engine Size
HT383 fuel injected
I put on a little over 700 miles this weekend. Some was at 9,000' elevation.

Pretty happy with how it performed. The only time I didn't like it was going down an extremely bumpy road where 4 low and 1st gear was too fast and I was at an elevation of 8,500'. It tried to flood out the engine 5 times or so... but with conditions like that I felt as that was to be expected. At least it was fine going uphill.

And I was very impressed after camping at 8,100' it started with 1 pump to the floor. Fired right up. Temp was 34* F.

So in the few months I have had it running I have found when going down a steep hill it will try to flood. And if I'm going down a hill and then hit the brakes (I have to do this on a highway to get to my house) it will be partially flooded- once I turn off of the highway and give it gas to go it chokes a bit, sputters then "clears its throat" and is fine.
Well this last weekend I spent driving thru deep snow and it started to act like that off and on most of the day. Road was kinda bouncy but sounded like it would actually mis-fire a bit on the highway. I had to jam on the brakes on the highway for a red light and it would barely idle in gear. When I got home I checked to make sure the spark plug wires are ok, and they are. There was evidence of gas that had flooded and made puddles on the intake manifold.

I'm thinking somehow the float is now too high? And maybe it was always a little too high, but now it is worse?

My plan tomorrow is to start it up and let it warm up. Then look down the carb with a flashlight and see if there is any excess fuel dripping down into it.

350runner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ceasar
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Please wear some sort of face shield. What typically happens to qjets when being shipped out handled is the needle falls off the float :) if all fails don't be afraid to open err up :)

Sent from the dust in front of you!

350runner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ceasar
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
I bet with the high elevation your going to need to lean it out a lil bit. This would be a great time to get an a/f meter :)

Sent from the dust in front of you!

Quadrajet Power

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5 Blazer
Engine Size
Does sound like the float is a little high. Pull it and set at 5/16" and you should be ok.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1998_K1500_Sub