New JET stage 2 carb (quadrajet)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

77 K20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 5" lift
Engine Size
HT383 fuel injected
will be arriving tomorrow. Do you just bolt it on and go? Other than setting the idle speed once it warms up, is there any "setup" to do to match it to my engine?

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
I wouldn't think so. There supposed to be flow tested so you shouldn't even hardly have to adjust anything. Having said that youll probably need to rejet it lol

77 K20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 5" lift
Engine Size
HT383 fuel injected
Ok, guess I'll put it on and see how it does. Didn't know if the fuel mixture screws need to be set differently for every engine.

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
Those are only for idle anyway as soon as you touch the throttle your in to the main jetting which has nothing to do with those idle mixture screws.

77 K20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 5" lift
Engine Size
HT383 fuel injected
Just got home and the carb was waiting for me. Will install it when I get up later (it is 3:30am right now).

But was quite amazed at the packaging of it. I ordered it thru Amazon. The box it came in was 22"x26"x17". Inside was foam and paper. In the middle of that was a smaller cardboard box from JET. Inside that was a round ball of bubble wrap. They wrapped 3-4 layers one way around it, then another 3-4 layers the opposite direction.

Ever do those egg drops in school when you were a kid? Throw a well wrapped egg off of the 3rd story and see if it survived? Pretty sure this carb would have.

I can't say before tonight I've ever been impressed with packaging before.

350runner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ceasar
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Get err done :)

Sent from the dust in front of you!

77 K20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 5" lift
Engine Size
HT383 fuel injected
Looked over the carb this morning. I saw they installed the small little fuel filter in it. I've never liked those and run with them removed (use a larger external fuel filter instead). Figured I'd remove it before I forgot about it.

Got the fuel filter fitting 75% out then it started to jam up. Nicely tried to work it out of there- and finally got it out. Ended up partially stripping the threads just removing it. That was one of the reasons I hated those little fuel filters. Luckily I had another fitting and cleaned the threads in the carb the best I could. Installed a little thread sealant also and was able to re-install it.

Ran the wiring for the choke, and had to wait a split second for fuel to fill up the carb, then it fired right up. Need to drive it around a bit and see how it does.

One thing that did concern me is they had some paperwork inside the box saying this carb was for mildly modified small block engines. This carb is for engines that have:

-dual plane intake manifold (that is what I have... check)
-compression 8.5-9.5 (9.1:1 compression... check)
-mild porting or performance heads (vortec heads... check)
-cam duration @ .050 MIN 210, MAX 220 (roller cam, 196* intake, 206* exhaust. Problem?)
-Lobe separation 110-112 (lobe separation is only 109*. Problem?)

Huh? So since this engine has a smaller camshaft will that mean this carb isn't a good match for it? Will it run too rich then? Like I said, I've never been a carb person but I'm learning more all the time. Didn't have to know things like this when it was a stock engine, with a stock carb. They were already matched at the factory.

Last edited:

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
Looked over the carb this morning. I saw they installed the small little fuel filter in it. I've never liked those and run with them removed (use a larger external fuel filter instead). Figured I'd remove it before I forgot about it.

Got the fuel filter fitting 75% out then it started to jam up. Nicely tried to work it out of there- and finally got it out. Ended up partially stripping the threads just removing it. That was one of the reasons I hated those little fuel filters. Luckily I had another fitting and cleaned the threads in the carb the best I could. Installed a little thread sealant also and was able to re-install it.

Ran the wiring for the choke, and had to wait a split second for fuel to fill up the carb, then it fired right up. Need to drive it around a bit and see how it does.

One thing that did concern me is they had some paperwork inside the box saying this carb was for mildly modified small block engines. This carb is for engines that have:

-dual plane intake manifold (that is what I have... check)
-compression 8.5-9.5 (9.1:1 compression... check)
-mild porting or performance heads (vortec heads... check)
-cam duration @ .050 MIN 210, MAX 220 (roller cam, 196* intake, 206* exhaust. Problem?)
-Lobe separation 110-112 (lobe separation is only 109*. Problem?)

Huh? So since this engine has a smaller camshaft will that mean this carb isn't a good match for it? Will it run too rich then? Like I said, I've never been a carb person but I'm learning more all the time. Didn't have to know things like this when it was a stock engine, with a stock carb. They were already matched at the factory.

I bet you they just modified the idle circuit so it will idle ok.

350runner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ceasar
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Yea you'll be ok. They may have changed the rods and jets, but you would of noticed this while letting it idle in the garage. Woulda been real rich then unless the idle screws were tuned perfect for your engine. Time will tell as you can check your spark plugs and see.

77 K20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 5" lift
Engine Size
HT383 fuel injected
Yea you'll be ok. They may have changed the rods and jets, but you would of noticed this while letting it idle in the garage. Woulda been real rich then unless the idle screws were tuned perfect for your engine. Time will tell as you can check your spark plugs and see.

It started to flood out the engine at idle. Went to adjust the idle mixture screws but you need a special tool to do that. So drove it to a friends shop who is a mechanic. The screws were backed way out instead of just 2.5 turns or so. After he adjusted it things are much better now. Drove it 120 miles to my parants house. Only took half a tank. Best gas mileage I've ever had in it.

350runner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ceasar
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Well there ya go.... that's awesome

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
It started to flood out the engine at idle. Went to adjust the idle mixture screws but you need a special tool to do that. So drove it to a friends shop who is a mechanic. The screws were backed way out instead of just 2.5 turns or so. After he adjusted it things are much better now. Drove it 120 miles to my parants house. Only took half a tank. Best gas mileage I've ever had in it.

Unfortunately those older style mixture screws that were adjustable with a screw driver are not compatible with the newer carbs.

Just a note though... The rods and jets do not meter fuel when idling. The idle mixture screws serve that function when idling.

So when your burning around town stepping on it, that has everything to do with your rods and main metering jets. When idling at a light or in your driveway you are using the idle circuit which is adjustable with the 2 adjustable idle mixture screws.

Last edited:

77 K20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 5" lift
Engine Size
HT383 fuel injected
I put on a little over 700 miles this weekend. Some was at 9,000' elevation.

Pretty happy with how it performed. The only time I didn't like it was going down an extremely bumpy road where 4 low and 1st gear was too fast and I was at an elevation of 8,500'. It tried to flood out the engine 5 times or so... but with conditions like that I felt as that was to be expected. At least it was fine going uphill.

And I was very impressed after camping at 8,100' it started with 1 pump to the floor. Fired right up. Temp was 34* F.

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350

I run an external back by the switching valve for the two tanks, and the internal at the carb.

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350
And I was very impressed after camping at 8,100' it started with 1 pump to the floor. Fired right up. Temp was 34* F.

I am hoping to get out camping one more time this year. And doing so in the truck now that it is all fixed up.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jingle1