New Here Hoping for some help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tec74262

Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I have a 1978 Chevy C10, Silverado, Big10 SWB that I bought new. I have an Intermittent Click on Start; replaced battery, starter with solenoid, battery cables, neutral safety switch, swapped ignition switch, cleaned all female contacts to both these switches. Checked for bad teeth on starter and flywheel. Non of these eliminated this problem. I would welcome any suggestions anyone might give me to help eliminate this intermittent problem. Thanks in advance. Steve

fast 99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
grounds?

One way to confirm or eliminate starter is get under it, with a helper turn ignition switch to start. Purple inside wire closest to block on solenoid should have 12v. Should also be power standing on large cable.

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
Do you have a ground from battery to engine block,the starter is your biggest electrical draw so your main battery ground lead should go to the block, you can run three separate grounds,1 battery to engine,1 to battery to frame,1 battery to body. Or you can daisy chain from block to frame,block to body or any combination there of,but battery to engine is the priority. The wired fast was referring to if you short across those the starter should spin,if so the problem is with the solenoid signal wire or a portion of the solenoid signal circuit. Checking that will eliminate lots of other testing.

tec74262

Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I have not yet been able to check the voltage on a failure with anyone starting key switch in start position. I failed to mention that when it fails with the key, I can jump start the solenoid with a remote start switch which I have wired to the solenoid, and it will start; I added an additional wire to the start side solenoid terminal so I can remote start from under the hood rather than on the ground under the starter. I assume I could check voltage on this wire for the voltage. I do have negative battery connection to frame, body and engine block (attached to AC compressor) mounted to engine. I installed a new ZZ4 crate engine in this truck some 12 years ago and it has 14,000 miles on it. Always garaged and only recently started experiencing the problem.