New guys with some questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SilverLakeYfz

Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Been lurking around here for a while so i decided to finally join. I had an 86 that was my first vehicle but it ended up sitting due to gas prices. I decided to get back into the game with an 87 that i bought off a buddy. Motor trans and case into the 87. Its getting to the point to where its almost ready to take for a drive. The only problem is when i started it the other day the truck would not want to idle off choke nd eventually started smoking a bit of gray smoke nd would not run for crap. I believe it is the carb having something plugged from sitting for 3 years. It is an edlebrock 1405 600cfm manual choke sitting on a performer intake. Does anyone have some tips on where to go from here. I am kinda thinking about going to a holly with an electric choke since we have had good luck in the past but also looking at the truck avengers. I am not real good at tuning truck carbs but have some knowledge of carbs from working on quads nd bikes.

Driver4r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Trevor
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10,c20
Engine Size
355/th350/np203, 454/th350/ff-rear
Get a quadra-jet, They will run forever.

And i dont know why pple say they are hard to rebuild.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Get a quadra-jet, They will run forever.

And i dont know why pple say they are hard to rebuild.

They are easy to rebuild. They are hard to get set perfect and often need the throttle shaft bushed. No sense rebuilding it if it's still got a worn shaft.

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
Take the top off the Edelbrock and blow out the primary jets in the front bottom of the bowls with compressed air to clear the idle circuits. Install a good ac delco fuel filter. Rock on.

Stroked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jared
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
They are easy to rebuild. They are hard to get set perfect and often need the throttle shaft bushed. No sense rebuilding it if it's still got a worn shaft.

This. I have 8 quadrajets and EVERY single one of them has worn throttle shafts. And if someone has had it apart before, chances are they warped the airhorn when they put it back together. 6 out of my 8 have that problem.

Sent from my iPhone 4s using Tapatalk

Green79Scottsdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Where in Michigan are you located SilverLakeYfz? Up by Silver Lake? I am in Coopersville, between Grand Rapids and Muskegon.

I am not much with your inquiry. I have always heard Q-Jets are a great street type carb, but they take a little bit of work to tune in. A lot of guys around here junk them because they don't know what they are doing and just end up tune it worse. These guys here on the board will steer you in the right direction.

chevydude

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
hunt
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20
Engine Size
Qjets work really well off road if they are in good condition and rebuilt. But the holley avenger was built for off road use and can not argue with that.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
:popcorn:

83K5guy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5 Blazer
Engine Size
If you take the edelbrock off send it to me. I have have holley and had nothing but problems. IMO the new holleys arent worth it. Mine had all kind of problems from fuel leaking out of primaries and secondaries, blown power valves. I had exchanged it three times for new ones and they all had problems. I even had the machinist from napa (excellent guy) he even put it on and tuned one. Came back a week later and had a blown power valve and leaking out of the primaries. He rebuilt it and still the same thing. The owner gave me a edelbrock and my money back for all the troubles. Never had problems after that. I didnt care for vacuum secondairies the power didn't seem to be there as opposed as to mechanical secondairies. Im having problems with my qjet and am going to rebuild it opposed to buying a new one for $250 on up. just more cost efficient plus there suppose to be great when built right

SilverLakeYfz

Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Well after a lot of thought on it i decided im going to try to rebuild the edelbrock i already have. I ordered a rebuild kit and float kit from summit and for 50 bucks its worth a shot. Anyone have any tips on rebuilding these carbs?

Boone83K10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Benjamin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
If I were you I would stick with the Edelbrock. I had one on my 66 Mercury Comet and it ran beautiful. The Holley 4175 that came on this K10 I got is a pain, just like the 4150 I originally had on the Merc... Edelbrock is the way to go.

Stroked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jared
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Make sure everything is extremely clean. Just a tiny bit of dirt will screw up an edelbrock. They're pretty easy to rebuild though.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
It's getting a little anti-Holley in here, just figured I'd butt in.

I've had great luck with my Holley carbs and run them on daily drivers without any troubles. I'd take a Holley over an Edelbrock carb any day... that is all :rofl:

MrMarty51

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
This. I have 8 quadrajets and EVERY single one of them has worn throttle shafts. And if someone has had it apart before, chances are they warped the airhorn when they put it back together. 6 out of my 8 have that problem.

:deal:
Wanna box them up and send them on over to Me? :grd: :Big Laugh:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dan87r10