New guys with some questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Take the top off the Edelbrock and blow out the primary jets in the front bottom of the bowls with compressed air to clear the idle circuits. Install a good ac delco fuel filter. Rock on.

Yeah, why are we suggesting just go out and spend $300 + for a new carb, and conversion BS when a quick cleaning can do the job or other much cheaper less evasive procedures can be tried first???

Chances are the carb got gummed up from sitting, maybe clogged an idle circuit or bowl vent whatever the case may be.

It runs, but runs like ****??? If you don't feel comfy pulling the top off the carb, you might want to try a stiff dose of SeaFoam in the fuel tank. Maybe a full can of SeaFoam to a half tank of gas. That should start to clean up any gummed up junk in the carb and clean your fuel system as you drive it. It might do the job, it might not, but sure can't hurt to try. I've seen it work before. Edlebrocks are picky about being clean. I'd also consider a good inline fuel filter. Maybe just before the fuel pump, and 2 won't hurt either if you want to put another after the fuel pump.

philjafo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
phil
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20 scottsdale
Engine Size
350/sm465/np205/d44/corp14
A trick I've used with some success on old motorcycle carbs was draining all the gas from the carbs then filling them back up with a very strong mix of gas and your favorite fuel system cleaner (I like b12 chemtool or Lucas) crank the engine and pump the throttle a few times but don't run it your just trying to get the cleaner into all parts of the carb. Leave it sit overnight then drain it and refill with clean fresh fuel, change the fuel filter and run the truck. I've found this method will work even on severely varnished carburetors but if your filter has failed and you got something like rust or actual dirt in there your going to have to take it apart to get it cleaned.

I've never been a fan of in tank cleaners because if there is stuff in the tank or lines it might break it up and put it into the system. Similar to the way diesels have problems when switching to biodiesel, that stuff will clean the fuel system like you wouldn't believe. But all the stuff it cleans from the tank pluggs the filters and injectors on its way out.

82chevy350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joey
Truck Year
1982, 1976
Truck Model
C10, K10, K5
Engine Size
350, 350
Sounds like your float is either getting gas in it causing it to flood out or the level is wrong. I love edelbrocks ive always had great results from them!

SilverLakeYfz

Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Well gonna rebuild the carb this weekend but i had a thought earlier. The oil level seems to be increasing slightly everytime i run the engine. And the last time i ran it, it smelled like oil burning and it got me woundering if the mechanical pump diaphragm may be leaking. I know this will allow a lot of gas into the oil pan but can it allow oil into the fuel also?

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
No it is probably running too rich, dumping too much gas into the cylinders, washing them down, diluting the oil and increasing the level. Wish you would just try blowing out the idle circuits before going through all that. AND putting on a good ac-delco paper filter, not one of those cleanable screen units that still let all the garbage through. I've been through this a few times.

Chevytruckguy93

Reaction score
First Name
Cody
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Honestly if i was you i would go to a junk yard and find a throttle body and intake off a 87 to 90 chevy and put it on your motor. if it is an 86 and older block and heads you'll have to drill out the 4 center bolt holes on the intake to match or for around 100 bucks you can get an adapter plate for the throttle body to bolt to a 4bbl intake. If it's an 87 it should have the cpu and wiring harness in it for the throttle body and trust me it eliminates all the troubles of having to tune a carb because it does it for you. If you have headers on the motor they sell a bung on line that you weld onto you header on cylinder 7's pipe about 6 to 8 inches from the head and thats where you put your o2 sensor. I had an 84 with a quadra jet and i loved it. but now i have an 87 and it has the throttle body and i absolutely love it! I know the intake will work on older motors because i have a '64 327 with double hump heads that i got it to work on. Honestly i doubt i'll ever own another carbuerated motor unless it's a blown bbc.

Driver4r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Trevor
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10,c20
Engine Size
355/th350/np203, 454/th350/ff-rear
Personally Eddlebrocks are peices of ****. Everyone i know throws them away or gets rid of them imedietly. Run a holley(they are fun to get tuned,But run amazing) or a Q-Jet.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Personally Eddlebrocks are peices of ****. Everyone i know throws them away or gets rid of them imedietly. Run a holley(they are fun to get tuned,But run amazing) or a Q-Jet.

The only thing I'd run a Holley on is a drag car. For DD's, Take the time to properly tune an Eddy or QJet and they are stable as can be. Now the Eddy, you better use a damn good fuel filter, and that's the major problem people have with Eddy's is they don't filter the fuel and they are very picky.

Now I hear there are some pretty good newer technology Holley Carbs, like the Truck Avenger series, but I've never tried one. The old standard Holleys, are unlimited on jets sizing and tuning, but they leak like hell if you let them sit to long, they blow power valves out with one minor back fire through the carb, and they don't hold a carb adjustment for ****. They do perform well when they're working right, but unless you intend to wrench on it often I avoid them. I'm not sure how many I have left, I think 3, but I have had a whole fleet of 1850-XX 600cfm Vac Secondaries in both Manual and E Choke models.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
scawdrey