new guy with a few questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
did some searching, lots of neat stuff in here. I also found a section for projects. So I'll probably start a build tech in there. Someone might find some useful info some day. I'll take lots of pictures and share the joy/grief along the way. One thing I was looking for and couldn't find, I'm thinking the locking hubs out of the 85 front axle should work in place of the full times in the 78 axles, that would save me a lot or work and I could pull the 308;s out of the 85 and keep them as spares. This weekend we're going to do a lot of prep work for this build. should be interesting.

Yep, there is tons of help here, and a build thread would be a great idea. Not only for you to note your progress, but as your build is coming along, some will make suggestions to make things easier or better. Plenty of room to post pics of the good, bad and ugly, even the skinned up knuckles !!!

Just a suggestion, if have the room, rather than pull those 3.08's out of the 85, I'd just pull the whole rear end and go put it behind the shed out back. Reason being, being a 4x4 and 10bolts, you will have a tendency to break axles. This way you've got a spare set of axles, drums, carrier, gears and all in an enclosed case so they don't rust. Keep the oil in the rear end. Every few months go out and spin one of the axles to keep the gears lubed with some oil. I had a rear end sit for about a few years and where the teeth weren't in oil, they rusted and rusted to the point, they pitted.
If you don't have room to store it, pull the gears and carrier and put them in a box under the workbench in the garage and spray them down good with WD-40. Save the drums and the axles too, then scrap the housing.

binderbart

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bart
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Yep, there is tons of help here, and a build thread would be a great idea. Not only for you to note your progress, but as your build is coming along, some will make suggestions to make things easier or better. Plenty of room to post pics of the good, bad and ugly, even the skinned up knuckles !!!

Just a suggestion, if have the room, rather than pull those 3.08's out of the 85, I'd just pull the whole rear end and go put it behind the shed out back. Reason being, being a 4x4 and 10bolts, you will have a tendency to break axles. This way you've got a spare set of axles, drums, carrier, gears and all in an enclosed case so they don't rust. Keep the oil in the rear end. Every few months go out and spin one of the axles to keep the gears lubed with some oil. I had a rear end sit for about a few years and where the teeth weren't in oil, they rusted and rusted to the point, they pitted.
If you don't have room to store it, pull the gears and carrier and put them in a box under the workbench in the garage and spray them down good with WD-40. Save the drums and the axles too, then scrap the housing.
Planned to do that already,I'll just stick them in with all the scout axles I have. This weekend got waylaid already, this is the way it usually goes, I'm headed to the shop right now, gotta do some exhaust work on a customers car then we gotta get the sister's impala in and put 4 tires on it and a set of front wheel bearing in. after that if theres any time left I'll see if I can get anything done. Last night was spent working on a ford f250 for a guy, but we did some trading and it looks like I got a four speed/205 set up for mine now, I'll keep the other as a spare. Might get more stuff in trading with this guy too. So I guess the weekend isnt a total loss, I will get pictures of everything before the day is over and post them, probably start the build thread. well......time to go wrenching.

binderbart

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bart
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
By the time I got the exhaust done on the camry and the bearings and tires on the impala the flu hit me hard, Spent the rest of the day working on a rollable engine rack for the 350. that way I can free up the engine stands. I did shoot some shots of the trucks before I left. these are the 3 trucks I'm going to use to build one.

Attachments

• gmc-chevy truck 001.jpg
    gmc-chevy truck 001.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 99
  • gmc-chevy truck 002.jpg
    gmc-chevy truck 002.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 98
  • gmc-chevy truck 003.jpg
    gmc-chevy truck 003.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 92

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Ohhh yeah. 2 of those dudes are toast. The White one is the best thing going. But you say it's NOT a 4 buh fo? How are the frames on those ate up bodies???

Looks like a good pair/set of Ralley Wheels might have survived.

binderbart

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bart
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
The frame on the 78 is good, it sat up till I bought it in the early 90's, then I only drove it a few years and sold it to a guy that drove it a year and the tranny went out. It has since ever since (96) on his dad's farm. thats the frame I'm going to go with, figure coat it with OSPHO and then chassis saver. should last then.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
I never heard of of those rust treatments before, have you used that stuff?

binderbart

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bart
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
I never heard of of those rust treatments before, have you used that stuff?
Yes, I currently have a scout project going......that seems will never get done:whymewhyme: but I coated the frame first with a product called gemplers. you just knock of the loose rust and apply it right on. then you paint over it. Well the scout sat in the shop for about 3 months and one day I noticed a big chunk had flaked off :bawl::wtf:So I had a guy hit the whole frame lightly with his sand blaster just to knock off the gemplers and I used a product call OSPHO. It has phospheric acid in it and you can actually see it working, seems almost like its etching. Then I coated over that with chassis saver. Turned out nice. The sweet part is the OSPHO is half the price of the gemplers. You can find it at ACE or TRUE VALUE hardware stores. If you dont see it in the store ask at the front counter, they had to order mine for me. I started a build in the under construction section titled Project grumpy, I plan to post up pictures when I do this on it. Chassis saver is a product you get from Eastwood , kinda costly. I also used their exhaust manifold paint on the scout engine. they look brand new. I know a guy that did the same to his manifolds 3 years ago and they still look new.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Thanks for the info, I see there are some youtube vids on this as well I'll have to check it out. I want to be sure I can use POR15 over it.

binderbart

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bart
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Thanks for the info, I see there are some youtube vids on this as well I'll have to check it out. I want to be sure I can use POR15 over it.
Do me a favor, keep me posted with your results. If mine starts to have any issues I'll let you know also. I did some checking on other sites I frequent and nothing bad on it yet.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MikeD