new engine for the CC Dually

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bagged Dually

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kris
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
CUMMINS 12 valve
As soon as I get the body drop and bags done on the square body I'm going to start on the next part of it. The old lady said either big rig wheels or an engine swap but not both at the same time lol. So I'm leaning toward the engine swap first to make the truck a little easier on the wallet to drive.
The real decision to be made is which engine to swap in. Whatever i go with has to be economical to do the swap on and to drive. It also has to be a diesel. So far I'm thinking about an older Cummins 6bt 12 Valve all mechanical engine. To do that I think it's going to be cheaper and easier to just buy an old dodge truck and have everything I need there on the truck.
The other option is to swap in a Chevy 6.5L turbo diesel. Also with this option I'd probably just buy an entire old truck and have everything at the ready.
I'm not looking for a power house or some turned up stump puller. Just something reliable, cheap to operate, and fairly cheap to do the swap.

Any input, thoughts, or maybe something I haven't thought about??

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
As soon as I get the body drop and bags done on the square body I'm going to start on the next part of it. The old lady said either big rig wheels or an engine swap but not both at the same time lol. So I'm leaning toward the engine swap first to make the truck a little easier on the wallet to drive.
The real decision to be made is which engine to swap in. Whatever i go with has to be economical to do the swap on and to drive. It also has to be a diesel. So far I'm thinking about an older Cummins 6bt 12 Valve all mechanical engine. To do that I think it's going to be cheaper and easier to just buy an old dodge truck and have everything I need there on the truck.
The other option is to swap in a Chevy 6.5L turbo diesel. Also with this option I'd probably just buy an entire old truck and have everything at the ready.
I'm not looking for a power house or some turned up stump puller. Just something reliable, cheap to operate, and fairly cheap to do the swap.

Any input, thoughts, or maybe something I haven't thought about??

If you are willing to do the work, I would vote for the Cummins option, seeing as Alcoas are in your future. I think you may have to do a major crossmember mod to clear the oil pan though.

Bagged Dually

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kris
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
CUMMINS 12 valve
When I finally get around to doing the swap I'm just going to buy an entire dodge truck if I go with the cummins and I should have about all I need laying there with the exception of engine mounts and stuff which can be made. With that said would you guys run, the dodge trans behind the cummins or spend the big money for the adapter to run the chevy trans??The upside to the dodge trans is it should be a little more suited for highway driving over my turbo 400. The downside is that Dodge transmission are huge piles of easy to break **** I've heard.

smurph20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brad
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP208/4.10's
Id go with the dodge. Are you gonna stick with an auto or go with manual?

Bagged Dually

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kris
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
CUMMINS 12 valve
I think an auto would probably be easier since my truck is already auto. That being said I think a 5 or 6 speed would be fun in this old truck. Really I guess the determining factor will probably be what the donor truck I buy is. If it's an auto I'd like it to be an OD though. Anyone know what year dodge started putting an AOD behind the cummins??

wildcatjason

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
suburban
Engine Size
cummins 3.9 4bt
1988 is the first year or the cummins. The tranny is 47rh.

wildcatjason

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
suburban
Engine Size
cummins 3.9 4bt
You know you can put a 4l80e behind that cummins if ya want or a 5r110 for that matter. Allison 1000 is an option too

Bagged Dually

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kris
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
CUMMINS 12 valve
I did know about the Chevy trans behind the cummins. I'm trying to do this as cheaply as possible though. So I'm going to try and just find an entire dodge truck and use everything that's already there instead of having to buy all kinds of over priced adapters and parts and pieces.

smurph20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brad
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP208/4.10's
Id try to find a auto truck and just run a floor shift or try to adapt the stock column shifter to the dodge tranny

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
85sqbod