New engine break-in method

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
1981, 1965
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s; 65-C20 with 4:57 gears and Borg Warner Overdrive
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350; 1972 L48 350
Must have been doing it wrong for a lotta years. Old boys always said "Break em in how ya want em to run, Left foot up right foot down". BUT That was when we had less tech and more trial and error, but NOT a lot of error

The first engine I rebuilt, Pop helped me step by step. We reused the internal components, so it didn't need a camshaft break-in. But it was tight when we finished it up. I had a friend help me stab it in my '56. He was probably in his mid to late twenties, and had experience with racing, as did Pop. When we got it running, we drove it down to let Pop hear it. He said to rap it up. I didn't know an engine could rev that high. I wasn't revving it high enough, my friend said, "You're going to ruin the engine doing it that way!" He reached over and mashed down the gas pedal with his left hand and the engine roared. To me, it sounded like it was going to blow up, but it music to their ears because they knew what they were doing. It was music to my ears too, but not at first, my first reaction was, "Oh ****!" Being 15 never revving an engine like that before, it was cool after I knew it wasn't going to do any damage. It sounded really good with the headers uncorked, and then it settled right on down and idled nice and smooth. Pop had a big smile on his face. I learned a lot that day. That was May 1985. In June 1996, after at least 194k miles of mostly highway miles, I pulled the heads off to have Pop work on them. There was absolutely no ridge in any of the cylinders, and that engine spent most of its life running at 3,000 rpms. Pop said that meant it was a well-balanced engine. It didn't burn oil, didn't use oil, and after Pop finished with the heads, holy crap it had way more power!

Swearbody

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
C1500
Engine Size
355 sbc
And THAT'S the way we did it!!!!!!! Just take it out and STAND on it. if it won't take, ya did somethjin wrong

Damn right! I did the cam break in for 30 minutes and once it was sorted out and I was happy(keeping temp changing oil, no leaks and such) I then went out and hammered on it for a bit. Did a compression test a couple weeks ago and even gained some in one cylinder,LOL. Guess those rings are finally seated.

68post

very, VERY, limited access member
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Truck Year
Truck Model
84 K30 SRW Silverado, 85 C20 C6P
Engine Size
454, TBD
That may be how we always did it, but we can learn better ways too. I'll be using this new method on my new 407, and if I ever build it my 496. I'll volunteer to lose some hot oil during those 10 min cool-down periods too, (big magnets and cleaner -metal free- oil), drive it around semi-easy then one day HAMMER IT HARD !!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dbarham78