New Decals

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Craig 85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
454/TH-400/NP205
If I had it to do over again, I would have found a nice set of blue plates and registered those instead.

The laws may have changed since I last looked at it, but I didn't think DMV was letting people reissue the blue plates. That's why I was suggesting the color change. I almost did the same with mine, but I just couldn't see paying the state more money fro personalized plates.

Frankenchevy

Proverbs 16:18
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
Nice touch. It fits with all the 70's special editions GM gave us. If you want to make your truck just a little more period correct, have your plates painted blue with the yellow letters. I was lucky enough to have blue plates on my '79 and '85 trucks and had them reconditioned.

You must be registered for see images attach
I wasn’t aware you could paint plates. Does it need to be a certain reflective paint?

GregL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Truck Year
Truck Model
K 20
Engine Size
Blue plates are available now for YOM purchase status. I bought a nice pair off eBay and registered them on my '73 Corvette.

Craig 85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
454/TH-400/NP205
I wasn’t aware you could paint plates. Does it need to be a certain reflective paint?

They were painted from DMV back then. The guy that did mine actually powder coated the blue then painted the yellow.

Frankenchevy

Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
They were painted from DMV back then. The guy that did mine actually powder coated the blue then painted the yellow.
So it’s legal to just paint a modern plate blue then yellow letter it?

I’ve seen the YOM application for dmv up to 1980. There’s a guy on eBay who has several sets for ~$120.

Craig 85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
454/TH-400/NP205
So it’s legal to just paint a modern plate blue then yellow letter it?

I’ve seen the YOM application for dmv up to 1980. There’s a guy on eBay who has several sets for ~$120.

No it's not legal to paint plates, but I can tell you after being in law enforcement for 27 years, most cops don't know the finer details of the Vehicle Code. Mainly motor cops or ******** like me that read the VC while working graveyard. It gave me all kinds of chicken **** (legal) ways to stop and get into cars.

DMV still does not have enough pre-orders to issue blue/yellow legacy plates, so that is on hold. You have to know which plates would look original to get away with painting. YOM is not available to trucks like mine, so if I did get a black legacy plate, most people wouldn't know it's modified, since blue would have been appropriate for my year truck. I know in 1987 the were still issuing blue plates as my '87 K20 had them.

The other reason you can't paint most new plates is that "California" is not stamped like the older plates and legacy plates. Here a last fact, the old 6 digit plates have a larger font than the 7 digit plates.

82sbshortbed

Fuckemall!!
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Truck Year
1982, 1984
Truck Model
1500 shortbed, 1500 longbed
Engine Size
454, 305
Here in Texas they offer the black plates with white letters but, that **** is expensive. Like $120-150 I think. My neighbor has some that say bowlife because he's a bow hunter but, he said it was getting expensive and was thinking about not renewing them next time.

Frankenchevy

Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
No it's not legal to paint plates, but I can tell you after being in law enforcement for 27 years, most cops don't know the finer details of the Vehicle Code. Mainly motor cops or ******** like me that read the VC while working graveyard. It gave me all kinds of chicken **** (legal) ways to stop and get into cars.
Thanks Craig! Don’t be so hard on yourself!

Frankenchevy

Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
No honest, it said "*******" right on my forehead. Just ask all the people I gave tickets too.

:rotflmao:
I points to people’s inability to own responsibility for their actions. I’ve never received a ticket I didn’t deserve.

idahovette

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Perry
Truck Year
1975-1979
Truck Model
K20-K10
Engine Size
I've lucked out on a few over the last few years, some because I didn't try to BS the officer and others because I had so many growing up maybe I'm catching a break now!!!

Goldie Driver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Britt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC K1500 Suburban
Engine Size
I points to people’s inability to own responsibility for their actions. I’ve never received a ticket I didn’t deserve.

Sorry, got to disagree w/ this one. I have been the victim of the "quota" system, and w/ traffic tickets, you are guilty til you prove yourself innocent, or pay.

However , it is a no win situation, so might as well be polite to the cop, or at least not smart off to them. Very difficult as she was a power hungry bitch, but I think I did OK.

The 2 last times I have been pulled over ( post CHL, or LTC as it is now known ) both cops have been professional, which is all I can ask. One told me he was not going to show up in court, which he did not, and I did, and the other ( in LA ) I truly think wanted to check out the Cobalt, but the story was that I changed lanes too close to an 18 wheeler. No ticket issued, and he was a nice guy.

My .02.

Britt

Frankenchevy

Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
I drive the speed limit, always use my signals and remain hyper aware. I haven’t been pulled over in more than a decade. Last one, I was 23 doing a wheelie on my motorcycle. Haven’t done anything dumb since.

If you don’t violate the vehicle code and make sure there isn’t anything wrong with your vehicle, you won’t get pulled over. That’s been my experience.

idahovette

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Perry
Truck Year
1975-1979
Truck Model
K20-K10
Engine Size
Sometimes the police are just looking for "probable cause" and I DO think that there is some form of "quota". I try to be good ,but sometimes the right foot just can't take it!! Even if I am OLD!!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DamnTexan77