new crate 350 start up

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jonny B

Reaction score
First Name
jon
Truck Year
Truck Model
gmc c1500
Engine Size
Got my new sbc 350 ready to start up to break cam in but trucks outside (no garage) and temperature is zero degrees.Shes been primed but i am unsure of turning her over (ignition pulled) to crank oil around motor as the oil will be thicker being so cold.Dont wanna mess my new motor.Please advise me

Michael Benardo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Truck Year
Truck Model
C 25
Engine Size
292 Cubes
Got my new sbc 350 ready to start up to break cam in but trucks outside (no garage) and temperature is zero degrees.Shes been primed but i am unsure of turning her over (ignition pulled) to crank oil around motor as the oil will be thicker being so cold.Dont wanna mess my new motor.Please advise me
If its 0 degrees, you should be using 10W oil or 5W-20. If that's what you have in there, you will be fine. Just don't rev the engine until it is well warmed up, and even then, not for long periods of time. Is this a brand new/freshly rebuilt engine? If so, I would let it run at a fast idle for about a hour, drain that out and change the filter - it might be clogged up with metal fillings - then drive it at varying speeds, again with no hard use but try to avoid idling as well, for 500 miles. After that, choose the proper viscosity for the prevailing temperatures. For the next 500 miles after that, don't drive it at high revs for an extended period of time, and try to avoid idling. After that, you are home free.

Michael Benardo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Truck Year
Truck Model
C 25
Engine Size
292 Cubes
If you want to be doubly sure, put distributor in but remove spark plugs, and crank the engine until you have pressure showing on your oil pressure gauge.

Jonny B

Reaction score
First Name
jon
Truck Year
Truck Model
gmc c1500
Engine Size
Yes its new crate 350,ive put a 10w 30 break in mineral oil as recommended.Ill take plugs out to reduce compression and crank her afew times to pump some oil around before refitting em and firing her up.It may get up to 4 degrees today so thanks for both of yas advice n help,ill try starting her later,thanks

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
1981, 1965
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s; 65-C20 with 4:57 gears and Borg Warner Overdrive
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350; 1972 L48 350
Somehow artificially heat the engine so it's warm before you start it. Drape a tarp under the engine area and run a space heater for a bit. May work, but check for cats before starting it. Or, get a block heater and install it.

CRM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Casey
Truck Year
Truck Model
K2500
Engine Size
350 CI
When you say the engine has been primed you mean the oil pump, right?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mistafishe