New 350 Engine

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cah2873

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chance
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Hello,
I have an 1984 Chevrolet K20 that my son and I are restoring. It is now time to work on the engine. It currently smoke pretty bad and all of the gaskets leak. My 1st intentions were to have the motor pulled by a mechanic and have it rebuilt however he called me yesterday and stated that the block has been bore oversize and that this block will not work. We can try to locate another block and have it rebuilt and that is a possibility, but are there any engines out there from Summit or etc that anyone has any experience with that would be the better option? We are not looking for a high performance, but do not want a tank either. I would even be open to the option of a complete assembly of carburetor, distributor, fuel pump, and everything ready to put in.

Thanks,

CAH2873

Jarhead79

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
I'd just stick with a gm crate motor or check out these guys, http://www.phoenixengine.com/CratesMain.html
Also BluePrint engines have some decent deals. If I had $3000/$4000 grand to spend I'd just do a crate motor but I'm wanting to build my own long block to save even more. But I won't have a warranty of any kind most likely but if I sticks with my plan on sure I can build my 383 for around $2000ish but that's using my own valve covers, quadrajet carb, cheap new intake I got for $50 and starter, dizzy, alternator and ordering the balanced rotating assembly and heads for about $1300/$1500 ish plus my own a labor

Last edited:

donnieray

Talks to dogs and trucks.
Reaction score
First Name
Donnie
Truck Year
Truck Model
86 C10, 84 K10 MM7 NP833 option truck, 85 K10.
Engine Size
350,355;350.
I agree with Jarhead79. A crate motor delivered for two grand is cheaper than the three grand I spent rebuilding a crate motor. That is an engine with no intake, carb, fuel pump etc. You can buy them turn key or decide what you want to reuse. I ended up installing all new stuff and the feeling you get knowing that you built it yourself is kind of nice too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JOD26