Need to replace crimped heater inlet hose

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

adamj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Terrence
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20 Suburban
Engine Size
5.7L TBI
See image below, #41.
There's a metal line coming out of the block and the 5/8" heater inlet hose is crimped to this pipe.
I need to replace this hose, but can't find any replacements anywhere.
I have some bulk 5/8" hose, has anybody fab'd anything up before for this?
You must be registered for see images attach

firebane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Curtis
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I'm confused.. I have never seen that setup in all of the 350s I've EVER worked on. It is usually connected to the waterpump and radiator.

adamj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Terrence
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20 Suburban
Engine Size
5.7L TBI
I have an 87 TBI, I think some things are a bit different....
I do have the hole on the water pump for the heater hose, but it is plugged. The heater hose is stock, but the water pump is aftermarket I think to accommodate the other hose routing option.

Georgeb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
George
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Burb Z71
Engine Size
You could be able to cut just behind the crimp and use your bulk hose and two clamps if he hose part is bad.

adamj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Terrence
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20 Suburban
Engine Size
5.7L TBI
Here's a picture. I've been reading on other forms that people have had problems with this pipe crumbling and being a pain to remove. The pipe seems ok (I don't plan on attempting to take it out -- I'll tackle that when I have my intake off at some point)
So I think cutting the crimp off carefully will be the way to go. I can't see the back of the crimp. Do you think I should just make a cut length-wise and then peel the crimp off? Never dealt with crimps before, don't really know how they are set up.

Georgeb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
George
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Burb Z71
Engine Size
Here's a picture. I've been reading on other forms that people have had problems with this pipe crumbling and being a pain to remove. The pipe seems ok (I don't plan on attempting to take it out -- I'll tackle that when I have my intake off at some point)
So I think cutting the crimp off carefully will be the way to go. I can't see the back of the crimp. Do you think I should just make a cut length-wise and then peel the crimp off? Never dealt with crimps before, don't really know how they are set up.

That's a good plan. If you are careful and leave only a small amount of material around the tube on the end you should be able to peel it off. if you cut too deep you will hit the tube inside. Mine came off without a problem if you want to remove the whole tube. by the looks of your pic yours will too.

highdesertrange

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
k30
Engine Size
I would remove that whole tube and put a barbed fitting right on the manifold then just run rubber hose the whole length. highdesertranger

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
I would remove that whole tube and put a barbed fitting right on the manifold then just run rubber hose the whole length. highdesertranger

Yep that is what I would do too!

adamj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Terrence
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20 Suburban
Engine Size
5.7L TBI
Success!