Need TH-350 shift linkage suggestions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
So what are you saying ? That your Lokar stuff didn't work ? I already knew that lol

MikeB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
So what are you saying ? That your Lokar stuff didn't work ? I already knew that lol

Interesting that you say that, since the LMC kit you recommended is a Lokar knock-off.

The Lokar does work, but I don't like it. The problem is the angle from the column lever to the trans lever, with the 5/16" rod pushing on the trans lever with an ever-changing angle.

I do have the trans and column detents synched, but the shift pointer is to the left of P when in park, and to the right of D when in drive. And it's even farther to the right of L when in low.

Another issue I never even considered is how the linkage will work when the trans lifts with engine torque applied. I guess that could be solved with poly motor and trans mounts.

Bottom line is my Lokar kit may be on sale at the next swap meet I attend. :)

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
Interesting that you say that, since the LMC kit you recommended is a Lokar knock-off.

The Lokar does work, but I don't like it. The problem is the angle from the column lever to the trans lever, with the 5/16" rod pushing on the trans lever with an ever-changing angle.

I do have the trans and column detents synched, but the shift pointer is to the left of P when in park, and to the right of D when in drive. And it's even farther to the right of L when in low.

Another issue I never even considered is how the linkage will work when the trans lifts with engine torque applied. I guess that could be solved with poly motor and trans mounts.

Bottom line is my Lokar kit may be on sale at the next swap meet I attend. :)

I have never ordered the LMC kit so I was not aware that it was Lokar. But that issue you had is exactly what I was talking about. The stuff looks great but falls short for DD functionality

Anyways glad you got the stock setup working :)

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
You're going to like the OEM set up much better. It's either you do that, or an aftermarket cable operated shifter like a B&M.

MikeB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
You're going to like the OEM set up much better. It's either you do that, or an aftermarket cable operated shifter like a B&M.

Yes, I hope so. The OEM parts should be here tomorrow.

I had considered using a floor shift, but did not want a cheapie or ratcheting type. Been there done that once with a B&M that was hard for me to move between Park, Reverse, and Drive, and almost impossible for my wife to do it. And the options are fewer if you want a longer "truck" handle.

Also, a floor shift just wouldn't suit the personality of this truck. From an external appearance standpoint, everything other than rally wheels is bone stock.

BTW, I have an old 3-speed manual column left over from this project. I even have a "blank" to replace the shifter "bowl", which will make it look like a factory floor shift column.

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
Ive seen guys fab a bracket to the dash to mount a B&M shifter. For serious off road use though.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
beetlejuice01