need some part numbers flex fan to clutch fan

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jake wells

Can i be me?
Reaction score
First Name
jake
Truck Year
Truck Model
custom deluxe 10
Engine Size
i have a factory flex fan on my truck and would like some part number to convert over. oh and my truck doesn't have a/c maybe gain about .5 mpg

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
If you're wanting to convert to Clutch fan, then you'll need to replace the fan too. Probably best to hit up a salvage yard or a U Pull It, and I'm referring to auto parts, not your body part.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I have the clutch fan that I pulled from my '84, but the clutch needs replaced.

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
why would you want to switch from flex to clutch?

I switch over from cluitch to flex all the time. I know it may cost some mpg's and some hp's maybe but I like knowing my fan is working.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Not so sure you actually lose to much anyway. My race fan back in the day was high quality light plastic without much pitch to it. But with higher rpm the pitch changed and it moved more air. Of course with 4.56 gears motor was always revved up high, but needed to be to keep cool, and a clutch fan would never work enough at idle or sitting in CA traffic.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
I am actually wishing for a flex fan for my reverse rotation TBI Burb....

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I'm hoping to go properly set up with E fans. Same time, I know E fans can leave your ass stranded, so like I carry an extra HEI module cuz you never know when it's gonna go. They don't have to give a warning, they just go, I'd likely keep a light plastic flex fan and spacer under the hood somewhere. It won't be efficient, but 4 bolts, it's back on, and you're at least back on the road getting some air through the radiator and it could be the difference of walking home. And then again, if you have dual fans, chances are if they go out, or even 1 goes out, it's a relay or temp switch. With a piece of wire from the battery, you can wire at least one fan hot on full power and that will get you home too.

Guardian

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
c 10
Engine Size
While I do agree with the use of the clutch fan, the flex fan is a good solid choice for reliability. The E-fans are nice but have several concerns, one being what HR pointed out about leaving you stranded. I have concerns about adding them and the up graded headlight, stereo, driving lights, and all the other power opitions causes a strain on the electrical system. The OEM system is only rated for 65 amps continual load and most people never upgrade the charging or wire size which can have a very ugly result. If you add to the electrical demand remember to add to the supply.

jake wells

Can i be me?
Reaction score
First Name
jake
Truck Year
Truck Model
custom deluxe 10
Engine Size
While I do agree with the use of the clutch fan, the flex fan is a good solid choice for reliability. The E-fans are nice but have several concerns, one being what HR pointed out about leaving you stranded. I have concerns about adding them and the up graded headlight, stereo, driving lights, and all the other power opitions causes a strain on the electrical system. The OEM system is only rated for 65 amps continual load and most people never upgrade the charging or wire size which can have a very ugly result. If you add to the electrical demand remember to add to the supply.

the most i would add to a stock system is a radio because mine doesn't have one has a delete plate. anyways my factory original alternator had been rebuilt by a local shop and it had some updated parts installed and now it is a 90 amp alternator it was only 45.00 for the parts,rebuild and labor.

lusktommy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Tommy
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
5.7L (350ci)
ive been wanting to switch to a flex fan for sometime now, if you need a clutch fan the one on my 84 is brand new and works great, if you have a flex i would just swap with you even trade

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
the most i would add to a stock system is a radio because mine doesn't have one has a delete plate. anyways my factory original alternator had been rebuilt by a local shop and it had some updated parts installed and now it is a 90 amp alternator it was only 45.00 for the parts,rebuild and labor.

Don't throw that delete plate away.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
rare part or what?

No, not at all. Some racers like to use it as place to mount their Water Temp and Oil Pressure guage and if you don't want it, mail it to me.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD

All my driving is stop and go, short trips, start and stop engine. I'd like to have a flex fan to move some air, even just to blow the engine compartment out with fresh air. I can live without it in the winter time. Matter of fact, i would probably swap it out when I do the oil changes in spring and fall.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brianbones