Need Shorter Tires After Drop

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Merlin3e9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
5.7L
Evening everyone,

Well I finally installed my suspension upgrade and I think my tires are too tall. I'm rubbing at the top of the tire.

Current setup is 255/60-15 on stock 15x8 rally wheels.

Thinking a 26" tire up front would work, maybe a 235/60-15.

Out back I wanted to go with 275/60-15, but that would cause nearly a 2" size difference. What about 295/50-15? I've read on here that people have run that size on stock 8" wheels. Thoughts? With 295/50 & 235/60, size difference would only be 1/2 inch. I like the slight raked look, so I wouldn't mind.

So far the stock wheels aren't rubbing, but I still need aligning. I think I might need sticky weights versus hammer weights.

Drop consisted of 2 1/2 spindles and 1" drop coils (3 1/2") and rear consisted of 4" drop leaf springs. I also replaced the upper and lower control arms with tubular arms. The spindles and coils are Western Chassis, the rest are POL's in-house brand. All parts are very well made.

I called Discount Tire today to ask questions on sizing and installation and I was told they wouldn't install a 235/60-15 due to the load index on that tire being to low. They said based on their "Gonkulator" the truck requires a minimum 105 load index because it's a truck. The 235/60's are a 98 load index.

Looks like I'll be buying tires from Tire Rack.

Overall, my main question is two fold...

Recommended tire size for front/rear that'll allow me to keep "meaty" looking tires in the rear. Will 295/50-15 work and not be ballooned?

Should I have to worry about wheel rubbing given the amount of drop and backspacing on the stock wheels?

Thanks everyone, Jason

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
1981, 1965
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s; 65-C20 with 4:57 gears and Borg Warner Overdrive
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350; 1972 L48 350
When I bought Crusty, a 3/4 ton truck, it had car tires mounted on the rims. It was a mushy mess. With manual steering you could barely turn the wheel at slow speeds. I had some Load Range "E" tires in the shed, mounted those and it made a huge difference. If it were me I wouldn't put the lower rated tires on it, but it's your truck. If you do run the lower rated tires, you could always just have them mounted loose and bring them and mount them.

Merlin3e9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
5.7L
When I bought Crusty, a 3/4 ton truck, it had car tires mounted on the rims. It was a mushy mess. With manual steering you could barely turn the wheel at slow speeds. I had some Load Range "E" tires in the shed, mounted those and it made a huge difference. If it were me I wouldn't put the lower rated tires on it, but it's your truck. If you do run the lower rated tires, you could always just have them mounted loose and bring them and mount them.

I understand what your saying, especially on your 3/4 ton. I will most likely just buy them online and have a local shop mount them. I think Discount is just covering themselves because with it being a truck, it has the potential to haul heavy loads so an appropriate tire is needed. I've seen a handful of trucks on here with similar sizes, so I believe it could work okay..

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
1981, 1965
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s; 65-C20 with 4:57 gears and Borg Warner Overdrive
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350; 1972 L48 350
I think it's related to hauling stuff too. But if you don't plan on hauling anything you should be fine. I didn't bother looking at the tires when I bought the truck. It was the first time I washed it, I was scrubbing the tires and saw Load Range "C". I use my truck to haul heavy items from time to time and need a tire that can handle it. When I was younger I ran my grandpa's F100 on car tires and it did fine, but it also didn't haul anything heavy, had a 3/4 ton for that duty. Man that F100 was a fun truck.

Craig 85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
454/TH-400/NP205
The 295's may balloon a little. The tread is 10" wide and section width is 12". I had a friend in the early 80's run this combo on his '70 El Camino. Looked good to me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bhardiman1